Ultimatum

"Now?" I repeated and Sissy said, "Yeah, now. What is going on, Chase? What will?" I sighed and massaged my forehead with my free hand. I glanced at Nora who was still looking on with concern. 

"I'll tell you about it later." I shook my head and said, "I'll take care of it. Thanks for calling me." I removed my glasses and rubbed my eyes. How sour a sweet day could turn. 

"Are you sure? I could try. Taylor's manager called him back on set for...something or other so I'm free," Sissy replied and I sighed again. 

"Thanks, but I don't think that would be a great idea. No offense, I just don't think Octavia's aunt is a really big fan of Mythics and--"

"I get it. You want to handle things the human way," she muttered and I nodded before remembering she couldn't see me. 

"Alright. Text Octavia and tell her I'll be there in an hour," I said and she was quiet for a moment before she replied, "Okay, I did. Oh no." 

"What?" I asked my heart instantly jumping into my throat. 

"She says her aunt says if you're not there in thirty minutes she'll call the police and tell them you kidnapped her! What the fuck?! I'm so gonna ice this bitch!" Sissy exclaimed so loudly I had to pull the phone away from my ear. 

"Shit," I murmured, "I'm at the zoo, Sis. Even if there was zero traffic, I wouldn't be able to make it." 

"Seriously, Chase? Forget driving! I can pick up the car later. Now get your ass over there and show this harpy who's boss!" she snapped and I asked, "Don't we have a cousin who's a harpy?" 

"For god's sake, brother! Get a move-on! She says they're at the library near the high school," she said and I shook myself. Right! 

"Thanks, Sis. Love you," I said and she hung up. I spun around to face Nora who had her arms crossed over her chest and her lips pursed. 

"You really had to get involved with a human, didn't you?" she muttered and I grinned sheepishly taking a step closer to her. I opened my mouth to make the request to leave early and she held up her hand. 

"I heard most of the conversation. Go on. If you get arrested I'll never hear the end of it. You're one of our best techs," she said and I smiled giving her a quick hug before letting my wings push through the skin of my back, tearing right through my scrubs with a loud ripping sound. 

I pushed off from the ground and heard a few children scream delightedly at the "flying man!" I soared through the air feeling my baggy scrubs flapping in the wind. I didn't have time to enjoy the feeling of flight...but I did anyway. It had been less than a day since my wings were out, but it still felt so good. My glasses nearly falling off brought me back to reality. 

I made it back into town in twenty minutes and was just circling over the local library across from the high school at the thirty minute mark. There were a few people walking the streets and they all shrieked as I landed roughly on the sidewalk with bent knees. Even Mythics were surprised by men falling from the sky. Most didn't fly in the city. 

I sucked my wings back in and looked around unconsciously sniffing for signs of Octavia. I caught her scent and followed it into the library which was refreshingly cool after the heat of the day. I walked through the large library and was soon approached by a skinny old lady with a whole lot of neck and not a lot of hair. 

Her eyes were red as if from crying, her blue veins visible through her thin, pale skin. Her hair was a shock white cotton candy puff on top of her head, portions of her bone white scalp could be clearly seen. 

"Hello, dear. Can I help you with something?" the old woman asked, her voice raspy and soft as if she spent a good portion of her time screaming. I looked around the large library and said, "Yeah, actually. Have you seen a girl? Dark hair, grey eyes, about my height? With an older blonde woman maybe." 

The woman smiled kindly and I saw that she was missing several teeth. She nodded and replied, "Yes. They signed up for a study room. Number four near the CDs." I returned her smile and saw a light flush spread across her gaunt cheeks.

I turned away from her and made my way through the library quickly finding the study room. I peered through the small glass window on the door and saw Octavia moodily jabbing at her phone. Her aunt was sitting across from her with an official looking document spread before her. I took a deep breath and knocked softly.

Octavia looked up and a grin spread across her face. She jumped out of her seat and rushed over to the door opening it up and signing frantically waving her phone in the air. I nodded in response though I only caught about half of what she was saying and my gaze lighted on her aunt.