It's All Greek

I was carrying a particularly fussy tabby cat into the back for routine blood tests when my phone buzzed in the pocket of my scrubs. I ignored it and set the cat on a sterile table taking her face in my hands and looking into her eyes stroking her cheeks as the vet poked and prodded. She meowed indignantly but kept still while the vet took her temperature and a blood sample. My phone buzzed again, and I looked away from the cat just long enough to smile apologetically at the doctor.

Several minutes later I was returning the cat to her owner, and I reached into my pocket retrieving my cell phone. I looked down and saw a slew of messages from Octavia. I took a steadying breath and opened the first one.

OCTAVIA: I met with my counselor during lunch. He said I can go home with you.

OCTAVIA: He's gonna talk to Charlotte and try to get her to let me get emancipated.

OCTAVIA: If she doesn't agree, he'll call social services.

OCTAVIA: Chase! Helloooo!

I felt a surge of relief and quickly texted back, So sorry, O. I was in the back with the vet. I'm so happy! I'll try to get out early so I can pick you up.

OCTAVIA: Cool cool. Also, I think my guidance counselor might have hooked up with your sister.

I blinked and felt my face grow warm.

OCTAVIA: This is his picture from the Faculty section of the school's website. Look familiar?

A few seconds later a picture popped up on my screen. It was a man in his mid-to-late twenties with nut brown skin, deep, leaf green hair, large eyes the dark purpley red of ripe figs and a timid smile that was all too familiar.

ME: Uh, yeah. She picked him up from Samael's maybe two years ago. It was kind of cute actually. He had only been in America for a couple years and hadn't made many friends. I remember him being really excited to have someone to speak Greek with. They hung out for a few months. Then he got a new job at some school, and they agreed to stop seeing each other. I never actually caught his name.

The back door of the exam room I was hiding in suddenly opened and Nora exclaimed, "What the hell are you doing in here? The kennel tech needs to sanitize this room."

"Sorry, Nora," I said scurrying out of the room and typing a quick reply.

ME: I'm really happy your counselor was able to help, but I gotta get back to work. I'll see you after school.

OCTAVIA: Okee dokee, Chase! Love you!

I smiled at my phone as I grabbed the next chart and replied, I love you too, O. I shoved my phone back into my pocket and ducked out into the waiting calling on the next patient.