I Know

I covered my mouth to hide a laugh and I said, "I touched you and you attacked me." She blushed and signed, "I did?" Sissy laughed out loud and clapped me on the shoulder.

"You still got it, brother," she whispered and I brushed her hand off my shoulder. Octavia rocked back on her heels and massaged her temples.

"My head hurts," she signed. I smiled sheepishly and said, "Yeah, I might have fed off you a little bit." Her eyes widened and she touched her mouth. She remembered what I had done to her father and she realized that I had just done the same thing to her.

"That...might not be the worst way to die," she signed slowly and my heart thudded painfully. There was a moment of awkward silence before Sissy announced, "I'm going out." She grabbed her purse and started towards the door.

"Ooh! Where are you going?" Octavia asked and Sissy glanced at me.

"She asked where you're going."

Sissy smiled at Octavia and replied, "A club." She looked at me, "Not Samael's."

"Can I come?" Octavia asked.

"No!" I snapped before I could think twice.

"What did she say?"

"She asked if she could go with you," I mumbled suddenly feeling embarrassed. Octavia was nearly grown so why did I keep acting like I was her parent?

"Ah, no, sweet thing. The clubs I go to are 18 plus. Not to mention filled with creepy crawlies that like to snack on cute little girls like you."

Octavia jumped up and ran over to Sissy pushing out her bottom lip and clasping her hands together. Sissy giggled and said, "Now that I understand."

She reached out to ruffle Octavia's hair but Octavia unconsciously flinched and Sissy hesitated. She wasn't used to people not wanting her to touch them. Octavia had no problem with me touching her...the person she watched kill her father, but she didn't want Sissy, a virtual goddess, to ruffle her hair? Maybe she just didn't like people touching her hair.

"Uh, I guess you could come. I could get you past the door no problem, but I wouldn't be able to keep an eye on you the whole time and I'd feel terrible if you got hurt," she said sounding slightly offended though she tried to hide it.

I felt panic constrict in my chest. I couldn't let Octavia go to a Mythic club. She'd be torn apart. Then again, there were Mythics who kept humans and most of us had a strict rule against tampering with each other's property.

"I don't think you should go, Octavia," I murmured and she glanced back at me wearing the same pouty face.

"I have never been to a club, Chase. I haven't been anywhere. I never get to have any fun," she signed and I felt extremely uncomfortable.

"Oh come on, Chasey! Let the girl go. You can come too and keep an eye on her. You could use another night out anyway," Sissy said though she had no idea what Octavia had said.

"I've had enough social interaction for the next year," I muttered and Sissy stuck her tongue out at me. Then her face became serious and she looked at Octavia. She stepped forward and took me by the arm dragging me out of the room.

"Chase, I'm serious. You can't go so far between feeds. Not with a human in the house. You don't want something like last night to happen again, do you?" she whispered once we were in the kitchen.

I stared at her in shock. Did she really think that little of me?

"Sis, you know I would never--"

"I know you think that, Chase," she said interrupting me. "I know you're...different, believe me I know, but you're still an incubus. You still have the hunger and don't tell me you're full because I saw you feeding off of Octavia and I saw the need pulsing in your aura. If I hadn't shouted..."

"I would have stopped!" I exclaimed. I was beginning to feel offended. How could she say these things to me? My control was impeccable. I hadn't met a single Mythic, incubus or otherwise, that could control themselves as well as I could.

"No, you wouldn't have," she said staring me in the eye. She said it. She said it plain and simple and I wanted to cry.

"You are great at abstaining, but once you start you can't stop. I have trouble stopping you when we share feeds and you know that is because you go so long between."

I crossed my arms over my chest and looked away from her.

"You know I can't just...I don't like going out. It's not fun. I wish I liked it. I wish I was like you, but I'm not. I don't feel like I'm supposed to. I--"

"I know, Chase. I know," she murmured pulling my hands away from my chest and holding them to her own.