Nude

"Come out with me," Sissy said leaning over the back of the couch.

"It's Sunday," I muttered turning a page in my book. Sissy scoffed and whipped out her compact checking her deep burgundy lipstick in the mirror.

"Saturday, Sunday, Thursday...what's the difference?" she asked. I sighed loudly and replied, "Get a job, Sis, and you'll know the difference."

"But you worked this weekend. And you're off Tuesday. Therefore this thing you call 'Sunday' has no meaning," Sissy said placing her compact back in her purse and checking to make sure she had her phone and keys. I closed the book and massaged my temples.

"I just don't feel like going out. I have a headache," I said reaching for my mug of chamomile tea and finding it empty. I hauled myself up off the couch and started towards the kitchen to get some more. Sissy trotted after me, the pink sequins covering her halter top shimmering with every move.

"You have a headache because you haven't eaten since Wednesday morning. Come out with me. We'll find you a pretty little dryad or something," Sissy said as I reached for the pot of tea I had made earlier.

"I'm seeing Barapha on Tuesday," I mumbled filling up my mug and nuking it in the microwave.

"I hardly think he meant for you to starve yourself until then..." She glanced at me out of the corner of her eye and continued, "You know what happened last time." A vision of Octavia sobbing in the rain, her father dead at my feet, flashed through my head and I squeezed my eyes shut as I felt the echo of a jagged glass bottle cutting into my chest.

"Sis," I mumbled and I felt her arms wrap around me. Her skin felt almost cool against mine.

"I'm sorry, Chase, but you know what I mean. Call Barapha at the very least. Tell him you can't wait until Tuesday," she murmured. She touched my cheek with the back of her hand and her brow furrowed.

"You're burning up," she whispered, "And it hurts me to see it."

"I'm fine," I replied pushing her away and returning to the living room with my tea. "It's not like I haven't gone a few days without feeding before." She followed me and with a dramatic sigh said, "Fine. But you put a hurting on Barapha when Tuesday comes around or I'll beat your ass."

"Aye, aye, captain," I replied giving her a salute before flopping back down on the sofa. Sissy looked at me for a long moment before leaning over and kissing the top of my head.

"I'll be back late, but I will be back. I love you," she said, straightening up. I looked up at her and smiled saying, "I love you too." She smiled, failing to mask her concern, and left the apartment.

I took a long drink of tea feeling it burn all the way down and grabbed my book. I got through about half a page before slamming it close and pitching it across the room. I blinked rapidly and tore my glasses off my face throwing them down on the couch and rubbing my eyes. I could feel sweat trickling down my spine. I glanced at my mug of steaming hot chamomile tea and wondered why I was drinking it. In what world did it make sense to drink hot tea when you're being burned up from the inside.

Maybe I should call Barapha. I didn't have his number. Why didn't I have his number? Did Sissy have his number? Of course she didn't. They dated almost half a century ago. Cell phones weren't even a thing back then. Then again I never really remembered Sissy calling him on the phone. He always just sort of showed up. I shook my head.

I left the living room and went to my bathroom to take a freezing cold shower. Then maybe I'd take a page out of Sissy's book and go about the rest of the night's business without any clothes on.

 I sat in the shower for at least half an hour, relishing the feel of icy water against my skin. When I had finally cooled down enough function, I turned the water off and dried myself off. I hung the towel over the rack and walked out of the bathroom stark nude.

I went to the kitchen and grabbed a cup filling it with ice from the freezer to crunch on while I read and returned to the living room. And there sitting on the couch was Barapha thumbing through my first edition copy of The Hobbit.