The Cleaners

"Oh Chase tell me you were just coming out here for a breather and found him." I put my face in my hands and shook my head.

"What happened?" she asked turning to me. I fingered the torn up bit of my shirt and then nudged the bloody broken bottle that was still resting by the cold body. She sniffed the air and her eyes flared a fiery blue.

"He stabbed you?!" she screeched and a few pigeons roosting under the eaves of the building took off in a flutter despite the rain.

"It was an accident," I mumbled and she rounded on me.

"What? You killing him or him trying to kill you?" she asked.

"Both," I replied pulling my hands away from my face.

"Well how did that happen?" I shruged noncommittally and said, "I came out, like you said to take a break, and then he came down here and he was beating up on this little teenage girl. He had the bottle and he was going to kill her and I was so stupid, Sis, I--" She grabbed me by the shoulders and shook me so I would look directly at her.

"Is the girl okay?" I nodded.

"Yes, she's fine."

"Then you weren't stupid. We'll call the Cleaners and they will deal with this. You did nothing wrong." She dragged me back into the club though we were both dripping wet and pulled her phone out of her purse. She thumbed a quick text and then replaced her phone.

"He'll be gone within the hour," she said and I nodded solemnly. Sissy's entourage noticed she was back inside and started towards her. I backed away and mumbled, "I'm gonna head home." She reached out to me as her entourage converged and I heard a faint, "No, stay." before I left out the back door and started back toward Center Park.