On the Ice

We entered the crowded iceplex to the thumping of music and flashing of colored lights. Sissy touched my arm and asked, "Why don't you find us a couple of lockers and I'll get the skates." She turned to Taylor and asked, "What size do you wear?" Taylor plunked her bag onto the end of a plastic bench swarming with people and fluffed her hair replying, "Taylor Golan doesn't wear rented skates." She reached into her bag and pulled out a pair of gold colored women's figure skates with gleaming black blades. The same skates that her character Patience wore in the final competition in the third installment of Frozen Dreams.

Sissy rolled her eyes and muttered, "Taylor Golan better stop talking in the third person or she's not getting any tonight." Taylor made a pouty face and stepped over to Sissy curling her arm around Sissy's waist and saying, "Oh pooh on you, Sis, I'm just having some fun." I shook my head and made my way over to the wall of rentable lockers skirting around people and stepping over stray skates.

Sissy came back with two pairs of skates and handed me one before stuffing her purse into one of the lockers. She took the key and stuck it between her breasts for safe-keeping causing a random onlooker to trip over a bench.

I found an empty space on the bench and took a seat before lacing up my skates. I couldn't believe Sissy was making me do this. The last time I had been ice skating it was on a frozen pond behind our mother's cottage. The skates had been a lot different in the 1880's. I got them on and slowly stood up. I felt relatively steady. Perhaps skating was like riding a bike...then again I hadn't ridden a bike in almost ten years.

"Onto the ice with you!" Sissy exclaimed grabbing my hands and jerking me towards the double doors that led to the ice. I stumbled forward, joining a mass of people clamoring onto the ice.

I stepped onto the ice and whoop. My feet flew out from under me and I landed flat on my butt. Sissy burst out laughing and I looked up at her. She was clinging to the wall her feet sliding around unsteadily beneath her.

"You okay?" Taylor asked gliding towards me and holding out her hand. She seemed as comfortable on ice as she was on solid ground. I took her hand and let her pull me up. She gripped my forearms tightly as I wobbled.

"Yeah," I mumbled glaring down at the ice, my face warm with embarrassment. She guided me over to the wall and I grabbed on. She swiveled backwards and set her hands on her hips looking at Sissy and I clinging to the wall.

"I really thought you'd be better at this," she said.

"I haven't been ice skating in over a hundred years!" I shouted gripping the wall as people skated past. I saw a couple younger kids come out onto the ice with metal walkers and I had to wonder what kind of parents would let their kids out this late on a school night.

"I need one of those," I said pointing at the kids with one hand and keeping a grip on the wall with the other. Taylor rolled her eyes and said, "You are a mystical creature with heightened senses, super strength and enhanced agility. You do not need a walker." I felt Sissy grab my shoulders and my feet nearly slipped out from under me again. She used me to push herself towards Taylor and said, "True though that is. I think he might be right." She flailed and would have fallen right on her face if Taylor hadn't caught her.

"Here," Taylor said, "I'll be your walker." She curled one arm around Sissy's curvy hips and held her tight saying, "Try leaning forward just a little bit. That way if you fall you'll be able to use your hands to save that beautiful face. And whatever you do, don't let your feet splay out. That's a no-no for beginners." Taylor slowly began escorting her away following the path of traffic.

"Oh, don't mind me!" I shouted after them. "I'll be fine!" I glared at the toes of my skates and muttered a few angry non-words. I shuffled along at a snail's pace holding onto the wall and trying to remember Taylor's tips. The loud music, flashing lights and swarming mob of people was making it very difficult to concentrate on not falling. Where was Barapha anyway? Seeing him was the only reason I had finally agreed to come.

I took a chance and looked up from my feet glancing around the rink. I didn't see him. He was probably in the lobby. Maybe he was working. Behind the skate rental counter or something. If that was the case, why hadn't Sissy mentioned seeing him? A group of teenage Mythics skimmed pass snickering at the way I was clinging so desperately to the wall. One of them kicked the back of my skate on passing and my left foot slid outward. The ice was suddenly rushing towards my face. And just as suddenly, it wasn't.