Report

"Good evening, officer. I'd like to file a police report," Sissy said as we approached the desk officer at the local police precinct. The officer sighed without looking up from his computer and replied, "ID plea--" Sissy already had it out flapping in front of the officer's nose.

He took it still without looking up and scanned it into his computer so that he could print a copy to go with the report. He handed the ID back and grabbed a clipboard with some papers and a pen on it.

"Fill this out and have a seat. An officer will be with you shortly," he said gesturing at a less than sanitary bench in the corner. Sissy sighed. Barapha bit back a laugh. I fidgeted nervously.

"The incident also involves my brother," she said and the officer behind the desk held out his hand again saying, "ID." Sissy bit down on the side of her tongue and exhaled slowly before calmly saying, "It is customary to look someone in the eye when you speak with them." The officer sighed as if being asked to make eye contact with someone trying to report a crime was the greatest chore in the world and looked away from his computer.

His watery blue eyes widened as he caught a glimpse of Sissy, and his entire face went bright red. I stepped forward anxiously to hand over my ID. The officer's eyes met mine and he blinked rapidly as if his brain had stopped working and he was trying to reboot.

"A-apologies, ma'am," he stammered after a few seconds of gaping. "Sir," he added giving me an apologetic nod and taking my ID card with trembling fingers. Barapha, standing behind us, crossed his arms over his chest. The blood drained from the officer's face, and he hastily scanned my ID before handing it back and saying, "I'm very sorry. We don't get many Mythics in here."

"Wonder why," Barapha muttered glancing around. The officer wasn't the only one staring. The officer swallowed hard and stuttered, "A-as I said, please, have a seat and fill these out. An officer will be with you as soon as possible."

Sissy smiled sweetly as she took the clipboard full of papers and said, "Thank you very much, sir." She turned on her heel and flounced over to the rickety bench causing several people--police officers and convicts alike--to stare. I sighed and followed sitting down beside her and peering at the mess of papers. Barapha stood, unsure if the bench could take his weight.

I glanced around the police station. I hadn't been in one in ages and was kind of disappointed that it wasn't as bustling as depicted on television. I set down the bag containing my bloody sweater right between my feet and removed my phone from my pocket.

ME: Sorry for not replying right away...

I hesitated still wondering if I should tell Octavia what had happened.

"You should tell her," Barapha mumbled, and I looked up at him. He glanced at the phone and grudgingly continued, "For her own safety." I smiled at him, and he smiled back. It made me feel warm inside. I knew he didn't care one with for Octavia, but he was making an effort because he knew that I did. I turned back to my phone.

ME: ...I do recognize them. They stopped by the ice rink while I was there and vandalized Sissy's car--

"It wasn't just vandalism, Chase," Barapha said, and I grimaced mumbling, "Can you please stop reading over my shoulder?" He scoffed and looked away saying, "Tell her the truth, Chase. She needs to know what kind of creeps are wandering around her neighborhood."

ME: --by throwing a water balloon filled with blood at it. They threw one at me too. Nailed me right in the chest.

I sent the message and looked up at Barapha asking, "Happy?"