The Cave

We landed softly and the ice dissipated. Barapha chuckled and said, "You can open your eyes now." I opened my eyes and realized I was clinging to him like a drowning person. I backed away and cleared my throat.

"That was...interesting," I said and he laughed harder replying, "Not like flying, huh?" I shook my head slowly. It felt like I had been caught in a tornado in the middle of an ice storm. I was still waiting for my head to stop spinning. Barapha grinned and slung his arm around my shoulder leading me through the...house?

"This isn't exactly what I expected," I mumbled glancing around. We were in a huge cave with an impossibly high ceiling. The floor was slick with ice, my breath steamed in the air.

"Quetz and I can both do transformation magic. Our rental agreement says we can make any modifications to the apartment that we want as long as we put it all back if we move out," Barapha said. I looked up at him in awe.

"So this is an actual apartment?" I asked and he nodded as we turned down a narrow hallway lit from above with soft blue light.

"Right off Main Street a couple miles north of Samael's," he replied. He pulled me through a beaded curtain and with a wave of his hand the room flooded with light. He dropped his bag on the stone floor and kicked off his shoes. I did the same and looked around.

The room was large and circular. Woven rugs in various stages of disrepair covered the stone floor. Colorful prayer flags criss-crossed the vaulted ceiling. The walls were something to look at. They were plastered with posters of athlete's, musicians, clever or philosophical quotes, replica's of famous paintings, intricate tapestries, the odd cave drawing and faded handprints the color of blood.

There was an open doorway on one side and a large bed, curved to fit the wall. The bed was covered not with sheets, but with furs. Reindeer, silver fox, rabbit. All beautiful and all ridiculously soft looking. There was a bookshelf. A dresser. A desk with a lamp, a laptop and an electric mug warmer. A medium sized, flat-screen television and a large rocker recliner. It was odd seeing modern furniture and decoration in a prehistoric looking cave.

"So, what do you think?" Barapha asked striding over the dresser and opening a drawer.

"I think I should hire you and Quetz to redo my place. The kitchen could use a bit of a remodel," I replied and Barapha laughed. I looked at him and asked, "Where is Quetz by the way?"

"Sleeping, probably. Kid goes to bed at like nine then pops up at 5am all shiny and new, ready for the day." He shook his head and mumbled, "I'll never understand morning people." I covered my mouth to suppress a laugh.

"Speaking of...isn't it a bit chilly in here for something like him?" I asked and Barapha turned to look at me, tossing a pair of clean sweatpants on his bed.

"Quetz likes it hot but the cold doesn't bother him being a walking space-heater and all," Barapha replied. He pulled off his jacket and tossed it on top of the bag that contained his skates.

"I'm going to shower," he said starting towards the empty doorway which lit up at his approach. I fiddled with one of the furs on his bed and wondered what to do with myself while he was gone. Maybe read.

Barapha glanced back at me and asked, "You coming?" I looked up at him with wide eyes. He smirked and then slipped through the glowing doorway. I stood there for several long seconds before running after him shouting, "Okay, but I'm not washing your hair, that shit took forever." His laughter bounced off the stone walls.