Ice and Snow

"How was that?" Barapha asked leaning over me. I looked up at him, at his face flushed lavender from the heat of the feed. The air around him sparkled blue and white, bright silver flecks dancing at the edge of my vision. I giggled drunkenly and snuggled deeper into the furs on his bed.

"Glad you came home with me instead of your boring sister and her pet Afreet?" he asked using the very archaic term for Taylor's species.

"Of course, he's glad, Bara," Quetz said peering over Barapha's shoulder, "Look at his eyes...and I thought they were beautiful before." He draped his arms around Barapha's neck, pressing his bare chest against Barapha's back. Their skin steamed even after the warmth Barapha had sucked from Quetz's skin.

Barapha shook his head and murmured, "There really is nothing as gorgeous as the eyes of a well fed incubus." I covered my mouth trying to suppress the maniacal giggle from escaping.

"Aw, look, we're making him blush," Barapha said and Quetz laughed. He kissed Barapha on the cheek and said, "It's almost 9:30am. I gotta go," before rolling off the bed and stretching his muscular arms above his head. My eyes popped open wide and I sat up straight in the bed.

"Wait! What?" I shrieked, "What time is it?" Barapha fumbled on the bedside table and grabbed his phone.

"9:26am. Why?" he asked. I flung myself out of the bed and began hunting for my clothes.

"I was supposed to be at work over forty minutes ago!" I shouted yanking on my sweats and looking around for my shirt. Barapha got off the bed and started towards the bathroom where he found the skin tight long-sleeved shirt I had worn to the ice rink the night before. He held it out to me and I snatched it out of his hands.

"You should have told me what time you needed to wake up. I would've set an alarm," he said watching me struggle into the stupid spandex/poly-blend. I whined in response and grabbed my phone and wallet, shoving my shoes onto my feet. I had extra scrubs at the office so I didn't have to stop at home, but I didn't have a car. How was I gonna get to wo--

"Do you want me to give you a ride?" Barapha asked and I glanced at him nursing the now cold cup of coffee Quetz had left for him.

"Oh, thank you so much," I said and Quetz laughed quietly before turning to leave the room with his own coffee mug in hand. I ran after him, stopping him with a touch. He looked back at me. I smiled nervously and murmured, "Thanks for..." He smiled back and touched my hand leaning down to press his hot lips against the corner of my mouth.

"You're welcome," he whispered and he left. A moment of silence passed before Barapha said, "He likes you." I heard the front door open and shut. So they really did live in an actual house. I turned to look at Barapha and replied, "I think he likes the fact that I like you." His brow creased and he tilted his head to one side. I smirked and shook my head saying, "Nevermind. Now take me to work."

I wrapped my arms around him and told him the address. With a sickening jolt and a swirl of ice, we were gone.

* * *

We reappeared right in the middle of the vet office waiting room. It was illegal to materialize in the middle of the street. And when I say 'illegal' I mean sort of along the lines of jaywalking. It was a safety thing.

The looks of surprise on the faces of those sitting in the waiting room were priceless. Several dogs began barking up a storm. Their owners shot me dirty looks. I closed my eyes and let out a slow breath. It was strange, but my kind had a calming effect on most animals, just as we had on children. The dogs fell silent and Barapha chuckled leaning down to press his forehead against mine.

"You are a work of art, you know that?" he murmured. I smiled and was about to reply when a sharp voice called, "McManus!" I grimaced and mumbled, "Tell that to my boss." Barapha grinned and gave me a quick kiss on the lips before taking a step back.

"I'll see you on Tuesday, yeah?" he asked and I nodded.

"Starts at one, right?"

"Yep."

"I'll be there."

He moved in for another kiss, the taste of which lingered on my tongue, long after he had left, and then disappeared in a swirl of ice and snow.