Coming Home

"I'm heading out, Nora. Have a nice night," I said leaving the staff room.

"You too, Chase. See you tomorrow!" Nora replied waving me out the door. I wandered into the parking lot and got in my car and drove home. I didn't get any texts or phone calls from Sissy or Octavia so I assumed they were both alright...or they were both lying dead in a ditch somewhere...one of those.

I stood outside the apartment door for a second listening for sounds of distress. I heard some music playing softly, but otherwise everything was quiet.

The door was unlocked so I walked in and set my keys and stuff on the table by the door. I could smell food cooking so I wandered into the kitchen to find Octavia mixing pasta sauce and Sissy sitting at the counter looking over Octavia's geometry homework.

"You got number fifteen wrong," Sissy mumbled setting the papers back down on the counter. Octavia tasted the sauce, seemed to like it and then picked up a small spiral notebook and a pen. She began to scribble a note then she noticed me and stopped.

"Can you ask her which parts I got wrong?" she signed and I nodded turning to Sissy and repeating the question. She looked up at Octavia and replied, "All of them." She glanced at me and smiled saying, "Hey, Chase. How was your day?"

"Sorry. Hello, Chase. Did you have a nice day?" Octavia signed walking over to the sink for the basket of drained spaghetti.

I sat down at the counter across from Sissy and replied, "It was alright. Had to express an angry doberman's anal glands so that was big fun."

Octavia guffawed nearly spilling pasta down her shirt as she added it to the pot of sauce and Sissy scrunched her nose groaning, "Eww, Chase." I smirked in response. Grossing Sissy out with my vet tech tales was a guilty pleasure.

"So how was school, Octavia? Those girls give you anymore trouble?" I asked and she turned away from the pot on the stove flipping off the heat and pulling down three bowls.

"It was fine," she said after setting the bowls on the counter. "And no, they left me alone after this morning. Speaking of which, Tawnie got her dad to give me a hundred bucks after school to get my clothes dry cleaned."

"Wow, really? Even after I poured coffee on her head?"

"You poured coffee on someone's head?!" Sissy exclaimed getting up to scoop out some pasta. I grinned sheepishly and said, "I may have gotten a little carried away after some movie mean girls knocked Octavia's coffee all over her new clothes."

"At least you didn't break her fingers," Octavia signed and I laughed. Sissy opened her mouth to ask what Octavia said but then just shook her head and sat down to eat her pasta.

Octavia and I got food for ourselves and joined Sissy at the counter.

"And how was your day, dear sister?" I asked twirling my fork through my pasta. Sissy sighed dramatically and responded, "Simply terrible! I cleaned my room and washed my own new clothes and took Octavia's outfit to the dry cleaners down the street after school which I suppose I will pick up tomorrow."

"Wow...I am genuinely impressed," I said and she stuck her tongue out at me before slurping up a noodle.

We ate in silence for a while and then Sissy asked, "Are you really going out with Barapha's sort of boyfriend thing tonight?" I glanced at her and nodded inquiring, "Yeah. Do you want to come? You haven't been flying in a while."

Sissy looked up at the ceiling and rolled her shoulders mumbling, "That might be nice and I've never seen a dragon in it's true form." She shook her head. "But Taylor invited me to this swanky party to celebrate the premier of his new show. Lots of important Mythics with mad money. I might get casted...hopefully in something other than a porno."

Octava sputtered almost choking on her pasta and I nodded saying, "Maybe next time." She took another bite and said, "Definitely."

"Can I come to the swanky party?" Octavia motioned and I shook my head. She pouted and Sissy asked, "Did she ask if she could come to the party?" I nodded and Sissy grinned murmuring, "That could be interesting."

"No. Not on a school night," I said and both Sissy and Octavia sighed.

"You're so lame, Chase. You should stop by the party later. Taylor said you could and we would be all the rage, you know. An incubus and a succubus together...the night would never end," she swooned and I rolled my eyes.

"I'm meeting Quetz at eight and we'll probably be a few hours," I said and she scoffed.

"The party starts at nine and hopefully will continue into the wee hours of the morn," she cried and I shook my head.

"I can't leave Octavia here over night," I said and Octavia gave me a look signing, "You do remember I'm sixteen, right? And have been left alone at night in this very apartment building many times before."

I sighed and muttered, "I'll think about it." Sissy giggled and went to set her bowl in the sink. I finished eating and went to change out of my scrubs.