How Was Your Day?

"I won," I said after tallying up the scores and Taylor frowned muttering, "You read too many books."

"Maybe you don't read enough," I retorted, and he smiled reaching out for the large flowery tea pot. He went to pour himself another cup of tea, but the pot was empty.

"You want green this time?" Taylor asked drifting over to the stove and grabbing the kettle. I hopped off my stool and replied, "I should get home."

"Alright," Taylor said setting the kettle back on the stove. I smiled at him and added, "This was fun. We should do it again." Taylor smiled back and replied, "Count on it." I started towards the door and Taylor followed.

"Do you want me to tell Sissy you're free now?" I asked and he shrugged replying, "If you want. I don't want to seem needy."

"Taylor," I said with a mischievous grin, "You are needy." His pudgy cheeks flamed, and he mumbled, "She doesn't need to know that."

"Tay," I murmured gesturing for him to move closer which he did. I glanced from side to side before whispering conspiratorially, "She already knows." His flush deepened and he opened the door saying, "Get out of here." I laughed as he pushed me out the door. He cracked a smile and said, "I had fun too." Before closing the door.

I walked back over to my apartment and, still smiling, I opened the door. As I entered, I was tackled in a hug that smelled strongly of expensive perfume and hair care products.

"Hey, O, how was your--Oh my God," I exclaimed as I pulled away and got a good look at her.

"You don't like it?" Octavia signed touching her hair which had been cut from mid-rib to just above her shoulders in the front and barely past the nape of her neck in the back. It had also been streaked with magenta and emerald. I closed my eyes and whispered, "Mackenzie."

"Isn't she just adorable, Chase?" Sissy squealed running her fingers through Octavia's hair and adding, "The inverted bob was definitely the right choice. Just look what it is doing for her bone structure." I looked at Octavia and said, "You look beautiful, O, but please tell me you didn't let them bleach your hair for those streaks."

"Of course not, Chase, they're extensions," Sissy said parting Octavia's hair so I could see where the colored streaks had been sewn in. Octavia bat Sissy's hands away and snapped, "Would you stop manhandling me like some sort of jumbo Barbie doll?"

Sissy looked at me and asked, "What did she say?" I shook my head and looked at Octavia and said, "I had to ask because Kenzie's streaks are real."

"Kenzie is a natural ginger--don't tell anyone--bleaching her hair takes a lot less effort. Us brunettes should stay brunette, I firmly believe," Sissy said fluffing her own hair. She then glanced at me and smoothly asked, "Are you and Taylor done playing Scrabble?"

"Why do you say that like we were doing something obscene?" I retorted and she pursed her lips accusatorily. Octavia rolled her eyes and signed, "She's been ranting about it since she came back." Octavia glanced at me and asked, "Were you really just playing Scrabble?"

"Yes," I said feeling a bit exasperated. She grinned and gestured, "You have to invite me next time. I would love to play Scrabble with Parker...I mean Taylor." I smiled and replied, "I'm sure he would thoroughly enjoy that." She let out a strangled squeal and did a little dance before flopping back down on the couch and opening up her laptop.

I walked over to Sissy, leaned in close and whispered, "How much money did you spend today?" She rolled her eyes and retorted, "Like fifty bucks max. Lunch was cheap since Kenz and O were the only ones who ate. Tam and I took our lunches in liquid form generously supplied by a couple of older gentlemen seated several tables away. After that we went to Kenzie's personal hairdresser, and he gave us a hella discount. Then we saw a movie and you know I haven't paid for movie tickets since like 1905."

I looked at Octavia and asked, "What movie did you see?" She glanced away from the English assignment she was laboriously typing out on her laptop and replied, "She wanted to see the new Magic Mike movie. Thomasina wanted to see the new Ant Man and the Wasp, but Kenz and I outvoted them all, so we ended up seeing Megan which was so good. We should buy it on DVD when it comes out."

I smiled and said, "Sure thing. I really wanted to see it, but movie theaters aren't really my thing." Octavia nodded and replied, "I get that. They are kind of grody, but if you're gonna go I totally recommend taking Thomasina with you. For some reason no one would sit on her side of the row or in the row behind or in front of her."

I laughed and said, "The perks of being a Valkyrie. They possess the ability to cast doubt on their enemies and make them feel extremely unsure of themselves. It is a very useful skill on a battlefield or in a movie theater apparently."

She let out her strange, gasping laugh and I smiled. Sissy suddenly clapped her hands together and said, "Well, as fun as listening to half a conversation is, I think I'm going to go see Taylor." She rolled her eyes and muttered, "Unless he's too busy playing Jenga or something." She started towards the door still grumbling, "He'll be playing Solitaire for the next month if he's not careful."

Octavia and I snickered in amusement as she left the apartment.