Hard Bargain

There was a quiet laugh. My eyes fell to the daughter. She covered her mouth eyes wide with surprise. Her mother gazed at her in shock. Barapha smirked. I shook my head fighting the urge to laugh. The woman looked back with fire in her eyes and said those dreaded words, "Let me speak to your manager."

Barapha smiled sweetly and replied, "Of course, let me get him for you." He scooped up the old skates and retreated to the back leaving me standing awkwardly by myself. A minute later Barapha returned and held out his hand saying, "Hello, I'm Barapha Srstikarta, co-manager at Sweetwater Iceplex. How can I help you?"

The woman made a face and the daughter giggled again before saying, "Mom, relax. Seriously. They were just kissing." She turned away and headed for a bench so she could put on her skates. The woman just scoffed and followed her daughter.

Barapha shook his head and snickered saying, "Some people, huh?" I glanced up at him and smiled.

The remainder of the session passed pleasantly enough. Things were slow behind the skate rental desk. Most everyone was out on the floor. Barapha bought me a waffle cone filled with brightly colored Superman ice cream and we sat in the back perusing the impressive collection of used manga stashed under the pock-marked desk.

When the session came to an end we were back in business. I collected the skates and Barapha took them into the back to spray them with disinfectant and hang them back up. When all was said and done, Sissy and Taylor approached the desk.

Sissy wrinkled her nose and said, "You smell like Lysol and feet." I stuck my tongue out at her and Taylor laughed. Sissy glanced at Barapha and cleared her throat before saying, "Alright, time to go home, Chase. Come along." I nodded and came out from behind the desk. As we started towards the exit, I felt an ice cold hand close around my wrist.

I glanced back and saw Barapha's eyes downcast. I smiled and said, "I had a nice time. Thanks for the ticket." He grinned awkwardly and replied, "No problem. I'll get you another one for Tuesday if you want." I nodded and said, "Sounds like a plan. I'll see you then."

I turned away and made to follow Sissy and Taylor out the door, but his grip on my wrist tightened. I looked at him, brow furrowed.

"Come home with me," he murmured. I smiled softly and covered the fingers around my wrist with my right hand.

"I'd like to, but I have work tomorrow," I replied. He stepped closer, his hand sliding up my arm to my shoulder.

"I promise I won't keep you up too late," he said, pulling me towards him. I heard Sissy scoff. I raised my hands and pressed them flat against his chest, feeling the coolness of his skin beneath his shirt.

"You lie," I whispered and he laughed.

"Maybe..." he replied, "But I'd make it up to you in the morning. Me...you...Quetz all having breakfast together. You'd have so much energy you wouldn't know what to do with it all."

"Mmmm," I sighed glancing back at Sissy and Taylor. Sissy was glaring impatiently at Barapha and I. Taylor was trying to draw her attention, slender arms twisted around Sissy's neck, soft lips against her cheek. It should have been working, but it wasn't. I turned back to Barapha and said, "You drive a hard bargain." His hands moved to cup my face and he leaned down until his nose was nearly touching mine.

"Come home with me," he whispered again, his cool breath tickling my lips. I gripped his wrists and pressed my forehead against his. I closed my eyes and enjoyed the rush of cold. After a moment I said, "Okay."

Sissy gasped in shock. Taylor rolled her eyes and pulled Sissy out of the ice rink before she could tear me a new one. Barapha pulled away from me after several seconds and said, "Let me grab my stuff and then we can go." I watched him jump back over the rental desk and retrieve a bag with his skates inside. I had gotten my stuff from the locker before I began helping Barapha so I was ready to go as soon as he returned.

He threw his arms around me and said, "Hold on tight and try not to breathe too deeply." My eyes widened.

"Wait. What?!" He just laughed and before I could say another word I was engulfed by a roiling storm of ice and snow.