Nerves get the better of us all

They soon get out the car and Niamh goes and gets Matthew out. "Aw you're in a good mood aren't you?" Niamh coos.

"Ready?" Niamh asks as Joe locks the car.

"Ready as I'll ever be I guess" Joe sighs.

They walk up the footpath to the house and knock on the door. Niamh smiles and takes Joe's hand with her free hand as she can tell he's nervous.

Joe smiles and looks at her as she steps away a little as an old woman opens the door.

"Hello" Niamh says as she knows Joe won't say anything; she bounces Matthew on her hip.

"Joseph?" His mums says.

"Hi mum" Joe smiles a little.

"My haven't you grown" she says. Niamh laughs and smiles at him. "And who's this?" His mum asks as he looks at Niamh holding Matthew.

Joe goes quiet and Niamh isn't sure what to do so she just speaks up for him, "I'm Niamh his fiancé and this is Matthew our son" she smiles.

"Oh gosh you have been busy then... You better come in" she smiles as she lets them in.

Niamh laughs and smiles at Joe, "she's lovely" Niamh whispers as they head in.

"Shut up you" he replies as he takes Matthew off Niamh  so she can take her shoes off.

"Why?" she laughs as she takes her shoes off.

"Because I said so" he smiles as she walks through to the lounge.

"Awk Joe you're just paranoid" she laughs as she follows him with Matthew in her arms.

"Please sit down" his mum smiles. Niamh smiles and sits down "I'm Mary" she says as she introduces herself to Niamh.

Niamh smiles as she sits Matthew on her knee. "Can I get you a drink?... We have; Tea,Coffee, Hot chocolate, Tap water or orange squash" Mary smiles.

"Just water please" Niamh smiles.

"Joe?" Mary asks.

Joe snaps out of staring into space, "hmm, eh, tea will be fine thanks" he says and Mary nods.

"Do you want a hand?" Niamh offers.

"Erm... Yes please" Mary smiles.

Niamh smiles and passes Joe to Matthew and gets up to go and help her.

Niamh goes to the kitchen and she helps Mary with the drinks. "Is Joe alright? He's very quiet" Mary says as Niamh fills the kettle with water.

"Yeah, he's fine... Rough night last night Matthew kept us a awake" niamh lies as she doesn't want Joe to know that his mum knows he's nervous.

"Oh dear, what age is he?" Mary asks as the kettle boils and she makes Niamh a glass of water.

"He's seven months" Niamh says.

Mary smiles, "he's very cute" she says as she pours Joe tea.

"He is, but he's exactly like his dad" Niamh smiles.

"Really? How come?" Mary asks as Niamh pours just the right amount of milk in for Joe and gives it a stir.

"Lazy, always hungry.." She laughs. "I'm only joking, look at Matthew around the eyes and lips and you can see Joe in him" she explains to Mary.

Niamh lifts Joe's tea in for him to help Mary out, "here you go" she smiles as Niamh hands him it before sitting back down next to him again.

"Naomi will be here soon, she's expecting, your Going to be an uncle Joe" Mary smiles.

"Very nice" he smiles. Niamh gives him a dig, "show a bit more interest please!" she says. "Aw that's lovely, when is she due?" Niamh asks.

"Two weeks time" Mary smiles.

"Aw that's nice" Niamh smiles as she drinks her water and looks over at Matthew and Joe.

"Do you mind if I have a little hold?" Mary asks.

"Yeah of course" Niamh smiles as she takes Matthew off Joe and passes him to his mum.

Mary smiles at Matthew "oh aren't you gorgeous" Mary smiles as she gets a little emotional.

Matthew looks at her with wide eyes and starts to babble as he dribbles everywhere.

"I don't know what you were so nervous about it's fine" Niamh whispers as she strokes Joe's hand and watches Mary with Matthew.

"she used to be different" he replies.

"In what way?" Niamh asks.

"Was very blunt and serious" Joe says.

"She's lovely, look at Matthew with her" Niamh smiles as she rests her head on his shoulder.

Niamh smiles as Matthew looks over and smiles. Joe smiles a little and kisses Niamh's head. "Are you having good fun with granny hmm?" Niamh coos.

"He's big" Mary smiles.

"Look at those lovely blue eyes, just like your daddys" Mary coos. Niamh smiles as she feels Joe stroking her knee. "Is he well behaved?" Mary asks.

"Surprisingly yes, but he can be a little monster at times" Niamh smiles.

Mary smiles as Matthew sucks his thumb. "Ooo that's a bad habit he's forming there" Mary says.

"He's been doing it a lot reccently" Joe pipes up.

"Oh you do speak I was starting to think that cat had actually taken your tongue" Mary laughs.

Niamh smiles at Joe an strokes his hand which is on her knee, "he's just being quiet...aren't you?" Niamh smiles.

Niamh smiles and kisses joes cheek again, "well how did you two come to be then?" Mary asks.

"Work just" Joe says.

Mary smiles and kisses Matthews cheek. Matthew giggles and wriggles about.

"Gosh he is a lively bean" Mary smiles.

"He really is" Niamh laughs.

A few minutes later Joe's sister Naomi arrives. "Hiyah mum, oh and who's this little fella" she says as she sets her car keys down on the sofa to see Joe and Niamh sitting there.

"Joe!" Naomi smiles as she walks over to him and hugs him.

"Hey" Joe smiles as he hugs Naomi back.

"Gosh aren't you big?" he smiles as Naomi stands back up.

"Nice of you to notice" Naomi laughs.

Joe laughs, "I hear you're due in two weeks time?" he asks.

"Yes indeed, scary..." she says with a panicked look on her face.

"You'll love it" Niamh smiles.