Chapter 143

"New York freaks me out...." Bruno sighed laying his head back on the airplane chair glancing at Phil.

"Because of her shit drama?" Phil asked.

"Yes. It totally threw me off. I know we got some good stuff done after she showed up, but it still leaves me feeling on edge and trying to keep one eye open for her."

"But, Brunz...you aren't like attracted to her or anything...are you?" Phil asked concerned.

"I mean...." He paused to think about it.

"If the answer isn't automatically no then you're fucked, bro." Phil said shaking his head. "It's not even games anymore. The two of you are married. Till death do you part, Brunz. It's non-negotiable. You cannot be attracted to her in anyway. You can't even think her toe is cute."

"That's why I stay away from her. I told her to just go away." Bruno told Phil.

"You knew you were going to see her again....why are you so shocked?" Phil asked him still concerned.

"I don't know. I thought that after we got married that anything I ever felt for anyone else would just go away. But...when I see her...." He paused. "No. I only like other girls when I'm drunk. I love Lauren. I love her. I can't live without her."

"That's what I want to her." Phil said finally getting comfortable returning to his previous conversational tone.

**

Bruno came home late Friday evening to spend the weekend taking care of Lauren and to surprise her with something that she had been talking about since she found out they were having twins, pregnancy pictures. "Laur! Wake up!" Bruno yelled from the kitchen holding a bagel and cream cheese for her. "I know you're upppp!" he sang throughout the house making Geronimo start to bark. "Shh." He said shooing the dog away from him as he walked through the house with the bagel and creame cheese now on a plate holding a glass of orange juice in the other hand.

"I'm up. Why are you yelling at me?" she asked rubbing her head as he walked into the bedroom with her breakfast.

"Because I wanted you to eat this when it was nice and chewy." He smiled setting it on the table next to her.

"Bruno? Do I have to pack for you again on Monday?" she asked him with a mouthful.

"Nope. I'm here until next Friday and then I'll be gone until Tuesday. I said short trips, babe." He said kissing her on the cheek reaching for the remote to turn on the TV. "What are we going to watch?" he asked moving back to his spot in the bed dipping his finger in the cream cheese.

"Put on CNN..." she told him reaching for the remote.

"Laur...you're so boring." He sighed laying his head on her stomach. "Did you hear that babies? Your mom is boring. I'm the cool one." He said moving her t-shirt up to kiss her stomach. After kissing it he kept his head on her stomach feeling her run her fingers through his hair. "But she's really sweet and she's going to be the best mom ever."

"Brunz...you haven't sung to them in a while." She said with her finger still in his hair.

"Oh....how about I sing them the wake up song...." He said starting to sing a silly song his mother had made up when her children were younger.

"Aww..." Lauren smiled moving a little as she felt the babies respond to his voice. "They know you, Brunz. Keep singing...they're moving a lot...."

"But it doesn't hurt, does it?" he asked.

"You would know if it hurt, Bruno. You would know." She said. "Now keep singing!" she pushed him playfully sitting up.

"Okay...but I don't know how good it is..." he said. "Come with me...."

"Where are we going?" she asked.

"Just to the piano...." He said walking to one of the extra bedrooms he had turned into an awards room with a piano sitting against the wall. "Sit down..." he said patting the piano bench. He moved his fingers looking down trying to remember what he was playing. :"Wait...I need my hat...it's a hat song..." he said reaching over for one of his fedoras. "Okay, baby....this one is for you...." He started playing the piano quickly in a style she had never heard him play. "Will you still call me baby when I'm old and crazy? When I'm old and crazy will you still call me baby? Will you act the same? Will you laugh the same?" he continued to sing his part of the song he had written earlier in the week making Lauren start to laugh.

"Oh, I have to pee...." She got out through her laughing. "I have to pee..I'm going to pee on the floor...." She got up trying to run to the bathroom making him start to laugh as he started to follow her.

"Don't do that!" he exclaimed running after her making sure she didn't hurt herself. A few minutes later she came out of the bathroom with her hair up, her teeth brushed and a little bit of lip gloss on.

"My wife is so beautiful." He said reaching for her hands looking into her eyes.

"My husband is very cheesy." She smiled leaning in to kiss him lightly.

"Oh...babe....we need to get dressed. I have something for you." He said still holding onto her hand.

"No surprises!" she exclaimed letting go of his hands. "I am too pregnant for that."

"We're going to do the plaster thing and take pictures....Helena is going to help..." he said with a smile not trying to surprise her.

"Oh my god, Bruno! I didn't think we would have time for that. I am so excited!" she answered almost about to jump up and down. "I'll be dressed in a few minutes." She kissed him again turning to go to the bedroom to get dressed. "Thank you for breakfast, booboo!" she yelled behind the closed door.

"You're welcome." He said laying down on the floor next to the dogs. "You two better be ready for these babies...because I'm not." He said closing his eyes waiting for Lauren to come out of the bedroom dressed.