Medieval!Steve Rogers - Huntress (AU)

A/N - This is another medieval/fantasy one shot that's a tad different to what I've done, but regardless I hope you enjoy - it also does have the potential to be turned into a full story.

**

Be the hunter, or be the hunted.

It's what my mother has always said. Our kind are not well liked - at least, not by those who know of what we really are, what kind of power that we possess, however most men do not know until they're all but dead.

I haven't killed a man in a long time, and I certainly don't plan on starting any time soon.

It's too much to risk after the lengths that we have gone to in order to protect ourselves.It meant leaving our home, moving from one place to the next until settling here in Auburndale. Only then did we have no urges, no desires to lure those into our midst's. Instead we're a normal family, my mother and I. She's not my real mother, but the one who taught me alongside many others of our kind. Taught me the ways of the water, to listen to it's call, to speak to it.

To feed it.

And I did.

That was until the waters told us to run. Now it speaks to us no more, however we still possess the gift that it gave us, and I will always cherish it amongst the new ones that I have learnt over the years.

I'm good at hunting, and so instead of on the water I chose to do so on land. We needed to survive and blend in somehow, and as time went on I became a good shot with a bow and arrow, a strong hand with a sword.

Survival.

It's always what it's been about, and it will carry on just like that until time tells me otherwise.

As I now crouch in my hiding spot, I catch a glimpse of the prey that I'm hunting. The usual deer, rabbit - anything that is edible. Today it's deer.

"Gotcha..." I whisper as I go to pull back the arrow on my bow.

But then the deer looks up, in a completely different direction and bolts on hearing the sound that I now do.

Danger.

And people...

"Go! Run!" The distant commands are yells as my legs take me towards them through the canopy of forest that spans for miles around me.

Running into danger - but I know of nothing else really. Plus these are people...and I'm not who I used to be.

I'm making amends one favour at a time.

On drawing closer, I note exactly what I'm up against  - and it's not the two men who are trying to fight off the creatures. They're outnumbered, even with me, but I have to help.

Pressing my fingers to my lips, I let out a long whistle, seeing the creatures now turning to note the newcomer.

Chitauri.

There have been more of them frequenting the forest lately, and the only place I can think they've come from is across the boarder.

My eyes meet with one man. "Go!" I yell and then begin to shoot as the Chitauri now come bounding towards me.

Of course they don't listen, but instead choose to fight on - during the course of which I turn and see the blonde haired man about to be torn to pieces.

Upon instinct, my arrow is now fired, hitting the chitari straught in the head and ultimatly sending it to the floor. The man now looking shocked at what just happened before his eyes then meet mine.

I look around at the bodies littering the floor, the second man who is dark haired now also observing the scene. "Well...this wasn't as relaxing as I thought it was gonna be..." Now seeing me standing there. "Thanks - we owe you".

My eyes are still on the blonde haired man who nods in agreement. "Especially me. Name whatever you want, and you'll have it".

I simply continue watching him as I silently retrieve my arrows from the chitauri bodies.

"I don't want or need anything, just your thanks is enough". I finally say and yank the arrow from one of the fallen beasts., cleaning it off on the grass before putting it back into the quiver. "Just take care around these parts on future hunts - they're becoming more of a danger, especially to hunters like yourselves".

The men are looking at me as though I'm mad - like they have never seen a woman with a bow to her name or an arrow to her hand.

"You just saved the Lord of Auburndale..." the dark haired man now states as I turn to leave, but pause on hearing this. "The High Lord will be wanting to thank you, give you a reward..."

The Lord of Auburndale...that can only mean that this man is the son of the High Lord, and only now do I notice the finery of his hunting attire. The sword that he carries of great beauty.

And then there's his shield...

It bears the crest and colours of the House, the flags and banners that fly from the palace turrets all bear the same.

"I need nothing". I repeat again. The last thing I want is to draw attention to myself by being brought before the High Lord.

"Please...at least accept some recognition...My parents will be wanting to thank you. You've done myself and Auburndale a great honour".

He wouldn't be saying that if he knew what I truly was.

Now he ventures closer to me, my feet instantaneously choosing to back up. "It's ok...I won't hurt you - I promise". He holds his hands up, now his sword and shield are sheathed.

My back gently connects with a tree trunk and I keep pressed against there as the man now moves closer, coming to a stop in front of me before blinking in surprise.

"Violet eyes...I've never seen anything like it..."

Oh I'm rare, that's for sure. No one else of my kind has it. I say nothing else until he then asks me for my name.

I shake my head as I continue to look at him. "That is something I cannot give you - and like I said, just your thanks is enough, but now I need to go".

"Wait".

It's an authoritative sounding command, something that he is obviously familiar with and uses on a daily basis.

"Please, just your first name...and you have my word that I won't try and track you down or anything else. Violet eyes are not enough..."

For me they are.

"If it helps, I'll tell you mine. It's Steve..." He tells me gently.

I suppose I could indulge him. It's rare that I'll be hunting again in this part of the forest for some time.

"Hale". I finally give him my name. "It's Hale".

Then quick as a flash, I'm gone, leaving him and his friend back in the clearing to contemplate on what just happened here.

What I don't count on is that Steve himself is stubborn, and that when he says he won't try to track me down, he means to do so until he is able to find me and reward me for my service to him...