Curtis Everett - The Station Master's Wife (AU)

A/N - this idea came to me in a dream last night so I thought I'd share it with you all. Back to Victorian England we go!

**

It hadn't been her choice to end up in a countryside village that only had a small population occupying it. Then again it hadn't been her choice to be married off to save her reputation. Well, more so her family's than her own - had her father not have stepped in and found her a husband she would have been sent away.

Now, Constance Everett found herself cutting some flowers from her small garden that adjourned the Station Master's home that she and her husband had moved into some months prior.
Her husband Curtis had worked for Wilford Industries, the same company her father was on the board for. She had met Mr Wilford when he had come over to England the previous year, but it was only at a boring dinner that she had to sit through. Curtis had been an employee of the company over in America and had been the one to volunteer himself to give up the life he had in order to save hers.

A selfless act if she knew one. He didn't have to. It wasn't his responsibility to take care of her or the bastard unborn child that had been the cause of the decision. The child's real father was another member high up in the company, and he had refused to marry her upon hearing she was with child.

Her mother had been furious. Her father disappointed that his only daughter could drag their family name through the mud. They'd be ruined if word of the child got around London within their inner circles that they frequented with. So instead Wilford had helped them out, and the first time that Constance met her new husband was at the alter.

They had began their journey to the country village they would call home straight after the ceremony. Everything rushed in the hope that no one would ever guess.

Curtis was the silent type. Occasionally he would make small talk with her when he was home - which was a rarity. But they were simply like ships passing in the night. Nothing in common other than their last name, and at this point Constance had come to accept that they would probably never have anything aside from the small talk. He would be running the station all day, getting in for supper time whilst she would be left to be a mother and bring up her child alone within the walls of their home.

Her hand gently rested on top of her bump that had become more prominent over the last few months. Doctor Gilliam had been pleased with how the baby was growing on his last visit, and soon it wouldn't be long until he or she would be here. Something that Constance was rather scared about, although she hadn't really anyone to talk to about it.

In some ways she really had ended up alone.

Making her way into the kitchen, she put the basket of flowers on the side before picking up another that contained her husband's lunch. She didn't have to take it to him, but she felt an obligation to. Being a Station Master, especially in a small community such as this had meant that Curtis was seen as a respected man. And Constance would probably say that he was considering what he had done for her. It wasn't far to the station anyway. Just down the lane in fact. Even when she was in the garden she could hear the trains as well as see the billowing smoke that drifted from their funnels as they chugged into and out of the station. Sometimes there would be a whistle or two from it if the local children were on the bridge waiting for a chance to train spot.

She walked down the lane with the basket to hand, crossing the footbridge that went across the tracks and up the platform to the station master's office where she knew Curtis would be. The door was open and she knocked gently before walking in and seeing him at his desk - Edgar, the porter also in there with him.

"I hope I'm not interrupting, I thought I'd bring your lunch to you - save you having to come and get it". She said, putting the basket onto the desk.

"Thanks Connie". Curtis smiled lightly from where he was sat.

"I also put something in there for you too Edgar". She glanced to the porter who looked a little surprised.

"You didn't have to Mrs Everett, but thank you". He said, and nodded towards her bump. "How long until the little one is here?"

Constance toyed with her hands nervously, not really having bet on staying for a conversation. "Three more months".

"Exciting". Edgar smiled. "You'll have to bring he or she down here once you're well enough to. I'd like to meet them, but also to see just what Curtis is like holding a baby". He chuckled as Curtis simply shook his head but said nothing in response to that.

Instead, he looked to her. "You didn't have to bring this Con, Gilliam said you needed to rest a little more".

"Is it wrong of me to admit that I'm a little bored?" She asked. "I wanted to get out of the house as well, get some air".

"Wrong place to come - only breathe in steam here". Edgar smirked and Curtis chuckled at this.

She laughed lightly and glanced out at the station. "I suppose I should be getting back".

"Do you need me to walk you?" Curtis asked, which surprised her a little as he'd never been that concerned before. At least, he'd now shown it.

"I'll be fine. The whole point was for you to not have to come home just to get your lunch". She told him and nodded to Edgar. "Enjoy", before she made her way out of the office and down the platform to the foot crossing.

As she got there, Curtis caught up with her and helped her across - even though she didn't think it was needed. "I'll walk with you. It's a hot one today, you should've brought your parasol".

"We live just down the lane, I am hardly going to faint from the heat in just a few steps". She told him.

"No, but you could in your condition". He justified, which was something that she couldn't argue.

Constance simply gave in and took his arm, walking with him back up the lane to the house. "May I ask you something?" She glanced to him as he nodded. "Since when did I become a concern of yours? Or even the baby?" It was incredibly direct, but she needed to know.

Curtis simply looked to her, a serious expression on his face. "Since the day I learned that the bastard who put you in this situation wasn't man enough to step up and take control of his actions. I know we don't really have much in common or talk much, and that's my fault really. The job takes me away and by the time I come home I just want to sleep - but I wanna get to know you Connie even if you think that I don't. I just didn't know whether you wanted to or not".

She took in all that he'd said and then nodded. "I do. I want to...I'd like that".

By now they'd come to the gate and stopped by it. The name plaque that said Wysteria Cottage set upon it. "Good...now promise me you'll rest for the afternoon? We can talk more when I'm home. You've got my word on that".

Constance nodded and was a little surprised as he pressed a small but gentle kiss to her forehead as a couple of villagers passed. An act they usually had to put on so they could convince people they were happily married couple - although she wasn't sure that what Curtis did this time was an act. It felt real if anything.

"I'll see you later". She said, watching from the gate as he returned to the station.

Perhaps there was some hope for her and her child yet.