Prince!SteveRogers - Royale (PT 2) AU

It was never a surprise to see Steve unless he was visiting his mother - either to discuss matters in relation to upcoming duties or just to sit with her. The Queen and her son were very close, Louisa knew that, but today the air hung differently in the palace. Quite possibly due to the fact that a story had broken overnight to the media.

Steve and Peggy had gone their separate ways - something that no one had seen coming other than Louisa and his parents. It had been a week since the actual event had happened, but now the media had been told, everyone was speculating. People had been expecting an engagement given how long the pair had been together. Now, as Louisa sat adding a few things into the Queen's diary - Steve appeared and closed the door.

Louisa looked up from her laptop. "Are you alright?"

He nodded. "I'm fine. Just annoyed that it couldn't have been something that was kept from them for longer".

"Well you know as well as I do that these things never stay private. Nothing really does". She felt for Steve. His whole life had always been documented by media presence, other than when he had been in the army. She herself never really liked the cameras and journalists, and had been subjected to them purely for her fashion sense. People loved it, columns on sites and magazines would always report on what she would wear when accompanying the Queen to engagements. Some had said that she fitted in with royal life - which was laughable considering she simply dressed for the job that she had. To blend in.

"I know, but like every other thing that has happened - it will be old news soon enough". She smiled. "Your mother's waiting for you in her sitting room. I'll ring through to have them bring you both some tea".

He went to pass the desk to go and enter the sitting room, but paused. "Lou..." She looked up again, still tapping away at her laptop as she did. "God it's freaky when you touch type like that".He chuckled.

"Party trick, and was there anything else you wanted?" Her typing ceased.

You. Came the voice in his head before he mentally pushed it away. "No, sorry - anyway have a good day". He said before heading quickly into the room where Sarah was, cursing himself on the inside for being an idiot. 

Louisa watched him and shook her head to herself with a small frown - getting back to work.

Later that evening, Louisa was getting ready to finish up for the day, when she felt a presence lingering in the doorway. "If you're not careful then I'll leak it to the media that you enjoy watching women like a little creeper". She announced and smirked as she saw Steve there, the smile disappearing from her lips. His expression was grave. "What is it?"

Even his tone was serious. "Has my mother called for you yet?" 

"No? Why? Is something wrong?" She asked, locking her drawer and feeling that whatever he was about to say next was not good.

Steve stared at the floor and then at her. "She's going to need you...my father has just called us to see him". He swallowed, needing to keep his composure. He couldn't afford to break and be seen as vulnerable by anyone. "It's bad news Lou..."

By the way he now looked at her, she understood exactly what he meant - and how hard he was trying to keep himself together.

"How bad?" She asked. 

He didn't say anything for a moment, before finally speaking. "The King...father..." he corrected himself, "is dying".