Colin Shea - I'll Never Tell

A/N - Set at least ten years after 'What's your number' place.

**

"I told you that this week was your week! And I get a call from the school to say you're a no show? This our kid Colin!"

Colin sighed as his soon to be ex wife screamed at him through the speakers in the car whilst he drove along. "Hey, I forgot ok? The meeting with the label over ran and..."

"I don't fucking care what bullshit excuse you come up with! You'd best be on your way to pick her up".

"No Celine, I'm sat on my ass at the studio being a shit parent and not bothering to pick up our daughter - of course I'm on my fucking way". He threw back sarcastically.

Celine's frustrated growl ripped through the car. "You know, I could do without this fucking stress. It's fashion week! I shouldn't have to take calls between the catwalk!"

"So get your flat ass back out there then instead of yelling at me".

"Fuck you Colin".

"Yes". He shook his head. "Fuck me indeed - bye Celine!" Before hanging up on her and then resting his forehead against the wheel whilst he waited at a red light. "And fuck my life".

The relationship with Celine had been rushed into, they'd found out she was pregnant with Gabrielle and as a result they decided to get married. It had made the headlines - the rock star marries the french model.
From the start things had been rocky and it actually amazed him that they'd even lasted this long. Then again they rarely saw one another, Celine back and forth for work, and he would be recording or on tour.

Really, it had been Gabrielle that had kept them together. Really he was thanking his lucky stars that it was finally over though. No way did he want his kid growing up in toxicity.

It wouldn't surprise him if Celine milked him for all he was worth in the divorce, but he knew for the sake of being seen  by the media as the reasonable one, she wouldn't decline him access to his child. Now as he pulled up in front of school, he saw another woman sitting there with his daughter and another girl, her face unimpressed as she looked up at him getting out of the car.

"Daddy!" Gabrielle came running over to him and hugged his leg.

"Hey kid, you ready to go?"

She nodded and went to hop into the front, whilst he now turned and was met with the annoyed woman, her beautiful face already judging him. "I'm guessing you're her dad?"

He looked her up and down. Blonde, pretty - he should not be thinking that but hey, he could always look.  "Yeah? And you are?"

"Concerned. Gabrielle's always the last one to be collected, so much so that Maddy and I stay with her until her mom arrives. I know she's busy but could you at least think about hiring a nanny or something so your kid doesn't think she's been forgotten?"

Colin sighed and muttered, "Why is it that I'm getting all the angry women today?" then turning to the woman. "Is she always late being collected?"

"Yeah, and just because your wife is a supermodel or something? Doesn't make it an excuse". The woman fumed.

"Ex" he corrected her, "She's my ex wife". Well, she soon would be. It would be common knowledge to all once the media caught wind of it.

"Whatever, just get someone to pick your kid up on time". The woman waved him away and then went to turn and head to the parking lot with her own daughter.

Colin knew he had to stop and thank her, but also was secretly relishing in the fact that he could bring this down on Celine. "Hey, wait!" Then jogging up to her. "Thanks, for sitting with Gabby - your daughter's a real kind kid for wanting to do that. I'll talk to her mom about not being late, and I guess I should go home and hire someone for when I'm not around".

The woman blinked, but accepted this anyway. "It's fine. Maddy really likes spending time with her".

"I didn't get your name".

"It's Noah, and I've really gotta go".

She didn't know who he was. Well, that was refreshing. "Colin, and again - sorry...I'm picking up Gabby this week so maybe I'll see you around?"

Noah simply looked at him with a smirk.  "I really hope not - not at this time after school anyway", and then led Maddy to her car.

Colin watched her before realising he probably looked like a total creep and headed back to his own car, a smile appearing on his face as he heard Noah's daughter say, "Mom, you just yelled at Gabby's famous dad!"

He didn't look back to see Noah's reaction, instead ensuring that he'd be extra early for pick up if it meant seeing her again. After all, he, seen no ring on her finger.