Andy Barber - Belated

"I'm setting you up on a blind date!" Pam grabbed Heather's arm and began to pull her in a certain direction. Probably towards some unsuspecting man who her friend called as the type of 'date' she'd be looking for, but in reality really wasn't.
The words 'Blind' and 'Date' scared the crap out of Heather, especially as she really wasn't looking to get back into the game after her divorce.

"It doesn't count as a blind date if it's right here and now at your birthday party Pam". She pointed out to her friend who didn't take no shit from anyone. Being a detective it was in her nature, and now she had her mind set on this, she wouldn't be taking no for an answer.
The pair had met funnily enough through her now ex husband, and had struck up a close friendship despite Heather being in Vermont. It was occasions like this that they were finally able to catch up.

As expected. Pam wasn't backing down. "Yes it does, now shut up and come meet him".

Fuck my life, Heather thought as she was pulled in between clusters of people who had come out for the occasion.

"Ah! There you are!" She finally heard her friend say as they stopped by a small group of people, "This is who I was saying about setting you up with, Andy this is Heather, Heather this is Andy..."

No sooner had Heather looked at the man in front of her, she knew this had to be some kind of joke, and it seemed that he felt the same judging by his expression.

"Heather?"

She sighed and nodded. "Yep, it's me..." accepting the fate that had befallen them both. 

Pam now looked from one to the other. "Am I missing something?"

"Yeah" Andy replied. "The part where we were at college together".

"And also not forgetting the clincher that was, we were friends before we stupidly slept together while he was dating Laurie". Heather added for good measure, closely followed by a sarcastically sweet smile. 

Pam made a face. "Well shit - Am I gonna be dealing with another homicide tonight? Coz if I am I'm gonna be needing a stiff drink".

Heather shook her head. "It's fine, but I think it's probably best I leave". Now feeling awkward as hell, not to mention some resurfacing anger that she'd kept buried deep for some many years.

Why here? Why now? And how did her friend know her ex friend/one night fuck.

So many questions, and yet she wasn't sure whether she wanted answers to them all. She'd never got a straight one from Andy all those years ago. It was simply "It was a mistake, perhaps it's best we keep our distance from one another", or at least something to that effect.

And that was that.

Friendship over. They all graduated and never again had they laid eyes on one another until tonight...

As tempted as she was to look for a wedding ring on his finger, she refrained herself from doing so, the last thing she needed was confirmation that he and Laurie had got their happily ever after. Now mumbling her excuses to Pam and quickly telling Andy that it was good to see him, Heather turned and made her way to the exit.

Time to retreat.

Pam looked to Andy and raised a brow. "You going after her? Or Am I?"

He sighed. "Probably best you do, I'm the last person she wants to see and for good reason". If anything he was surprised that he hadn't received a punch in the face.

"But it might also help if you two talk it out? Considering you never did in college I'm guessing?"

"My mind was a mess that day, not just because of what happened but other reasons. Plus we were young. I didn't know how to handle it at the time - and believe me I've beaten myself up over it".

Pam looked at him. "Think you can handle it now?"

Andy shrugged. "Depends on whether she wants to listen".

"Well you'll never find out unless you go stop her before she disappears again - plus it's my birthday, so you're gonna go and talk it out as part of my present, Barber". A small smirk crossed her lips.

He said no more and moved past her to the exit he'd seen Heather leave through, walking out into the parking lot and seeing her about to get into her car. If she wanted to leave then she could, but not without hearing him out first.

He owed her that much.