Steve Rogers - Blip pt2

Steve walked the halls of the children's home that was one of just many orphanages that had to open in the wake of the snap. They were over crowded, resources were scarce and delayed coming in from other countries. Places like this were struggling to even get so much as pencils for children to write and draw with.

He felt bad, never having considered just how bad these places had it until Lissy had brought it to his attention.

"I think she's in here...Ah yes, there she is". One of the carers now said as she showed Steve into the room. They walked in to where Lissy was going through some math with a small group of children, a two year old child resting on her hip.

"Damn..." Steve muttered as he realised that the child she had was probably born right before the snap had happened. It had been a couple of years after all. Whether the little girl was Lissy's was another question.

By now she'd noticed his presence and dismissed the children so they could go outside and play. "Steve?"

"Hey...sorry, I wanted to come and see for myself just what it's like".

She nodded. "Well. This is it".

"And who's this?" He now noted the little girl on her hip.

"This is Hazel. She was born twenty four hours before the snap...both parents perished". Lissy told him. "She's our youngest, but there are others around her age that are here. She's my special girl though". She now smiled at Hazel who was chewing on her pacifier.

It was clear to him that the two had a connection.

"She always been with you then?"

Lissy nodded. "Moving into here once everyone disappeared? It was a no brainer - these kids needed people here for them round the clock, especially the young ones like Hazel. At least it was company for me, better that than an empty apartment with the ghosts of demons past in my head - it's kinda been a therapy for me, but at the same time? It hasn't if that makes any sense?"

"I know what you mean. Got an apartment in Brooklyn and it's like a ghost town. The only upside is the Hudson's cleaner, so's the air".

"In the wake of disaster comes a secret salvation..." Lissy  said more to herself than him. "You didn't have to come down".

"I wanted to". He brushed it off. "If there's anything I can do to help then tell me. After seeing this? I want to".

Lissy smiled. "You're sweet. We're just getting by as best we can. It's all everyone can do right?"

He nodded. "You're right there".

Hazel now put her arms out to Steve all but trying to throw herself from Lissy's hold on her. "I think she likes you". She grinned as he took the toddler and held her.

"Do the kids ever ask why we couldn't stop it happening?" Steve now asked, wanting to know whether they blamed the Avengers for what happened.

"Sometimes"

"And what do you tell them?" 

Lissy shrugged. "No hero wins every battle - they have to lose some in order come back stronger". She saw Steve now in thought, taking in her words. "Come on, I'll show you around some more".