Curtis Everett - Gilded (AU)

A/N - This story is set in the Gilded Era ;)

**

The Manhattan mansion was larger than the home that she had grown up in. Even with considerable wealth, being married into more meant everything was larger, more opulent. Of course the talk amongst the gossips was about the new Mrs Everett, most a little put out that she wasn't American born and had travelled from England instead. The wedding had been a private affair and not as big as she had feared, however there would soon come the time to entertain the people who spoke of her - and she wasn't sure how to feel, especially considering her husband was barely around.

Two days into their marriage and the only time that Adeline Everett had seen Curtis was on the wedding day - and night- itself. But come the morning after? He'd gone, her maid explaining that it was a rare thing for him to be home. He was a railroad tycoon, or at least the heir. His 'father' who had in fact been his guardian since he was a child, Mr Wilford, was the one who had founded the company. He'd since taken a step back, leaving Curtis more in charge.

Of course, this had made him one of the most eligible bachelors in the city, so Adeline could only imagine how annoyed the mothers of my daughter had been to know he'd married the daughter of one of the company investors, rather than one of their own within society. She'd had no say in the matter and within weeks of being told, here she was. A married and very wealthy woman. Her mother had told her to be thankful and happy for her situation, but how could she be? Her husband had never spoke a word to her - only their wedding vows.

How was this a good match? A happy and healthy marriage? She was bored and miserable already.

Even now she sat alone at the breakfast table, the chair across vacant where Curtis was supposed to sit, make conversation, get to know his new bride. But no - he simply lived and breathed the company - at this point he may as well have been married to it.

She sighed as she put her teacup down on the saucer. What was she supposed to do with her days? She had no walking companion, did not know the city, no friends.

No one...

"Edgar". Adeline now summoned the valet. He was young, apparently new to the house too, but he also knew where her husband would be. "Where is Mr Everett today?"

Edgar blinked but answered. "At the office Ma'am".

Adeline threw him a sly look, threw down her napkin a pushed her chair back to get up. "Well, if he shall not come to me then I must go to him". She said, striding out of the dining room as Edgar now ran after her.

"He...he really doesn't like to be disturbed..." He told her hurriedly as one of the servants passed her hat and walking coat to her.

"Well that's too bad that I'm about to then isn't it". She replied flippantly and buttoned her coat up and had him call for the carriage.

Edgar knew this was going to cause some uproar. A woman at the office - Mr Everett wouldn't take too kindly to it, even though the woman in question was his own wife. Still, her mind was made up and there was no way that he could convince her that going for a ride around the park was a better option.

No. Her strong willed manner would be the cause of many arguments. He was sure.

Adeline watched out of the carriage window as it rolled towards the area of the city where the Wilford Industries offices were located, stopping after a short time. She got up, a few heads turning as she strode with confidence into the building. "I'm looking for Mr Everett..."

"He's not taking any visitors currently..." one the employees said, "However if you..."

"He will see me because I am his wife". She snapped.

The man looked dumbfounded. "Mrs Everett...I...I apologise ma'am, go right in..."

Adeline walked past and opened the door to the office that bore her husbands name on it. He was in there, talking to another older gentleman and looked up - then glaring as he spotted who had interrupted. "I'm sorry Gilliam, seems my wife has no manners when it comes to barging in during business".

Gilliam just smiled and said he'd come back later - then nodding to Adeline before closing the door.

Curtis was furious. "You shouldn't be here".

"And why should I? Why shouldn't I see just how my husband makes his fortune? Our fortune? If coming here is the only way I will ever get to speak and to know you then I will".

Curtis muttered something and then looked at her. "Don't you have better things to do with your time? Walking? Drinking tea?"

"I would if I had someone to bloody well talk to". Adeline huffed. "But instead you've just left me in a massive home not even knowing what to do with myself".

"You keep house, that's your job. Household management". He growled. "Go home, we'll talk more about this when I'm back later".

She remained stood in her spot, raising her chin slightly to show that she was going nowhere. "Will we? Because you've not said one damn word to me since we met. This is the most we've spoken - even our wedding night was in silence!"

"Which clearly means I didn't do a good enough job then". He bit back as he stared at her, eyes ablaze. He'd not wanted to get married in the first place, but considering it was the only way that Wilford would see how serious he was about taking over the company, he didn't have much choice. He wasn't sure how to be when they'd shoved Adeline in front of him at the alter. It could've been worse though - but what she needed to understand was that she was no longer in London anymore. This was a new place with new rules. She had a new role, and pissing him off was not meant to be part of it.

"Go. Home." He ordered her slowly, pointing to the door. "I said we'll talk about this later and we will".

She said no more and turned on her heel, walking out of the room. Moments later she was replaced by Gilliam, who looked back and then at Curtis. "Well...you certainly have married quite a woman".

"Yes". Curtis said through gritted teeth, still looking at the empty doorway that she'd exited through. "You have have no idea..."