Steve Rogers - Epiphany PT 2

1945 - VE DAY

Steve wove his way through the crowds of people cheering in the streets of London, rejoicing at the end of the war. He'd not been around to see it, however now he had that one chance, and it was just how he'd seen from video footage he'd watched over the years. 

The same kind of celebration had gone on when everyone had returned from the snap, except people had been a mixture of confusion, shock, and happiness. Sure, it wasn't to this scale, but the scenes he'd seen in the aftermath of Thanos' defeat had been one he'd felt proud of. 

And for him, it had been the final fight. 

Now it was time to right the last wrong. One that had been missing for some years and had impacted on him heavily. 

Anna. 

She'd helped him to adapt to the new world, whilst remaining a connection to his past. 

That was until the Winter Soldier had killed her...

Since then, he'd found it hard to move on, the regret of not telling her how he had felt being carried around as a constant burden. 

He could have saved her. But at the same he couldn't. Like him, she may have been a super solider, but she wasn't invincible. 

Now, having returned the stones and the world beginning to move on once more, he'd ventured to London in 1945, knowing she would be there and where she would be. The story had always stuck with him. She'd been alone on VE Day even in a crowded dance hall, sitting in the corner whilst couples danced the night away, celebrating, finding 'the one'. 

No one had asked her...

All because - she had told him - she had been different. Men felt threatened at the fact she was who she was. Who would have wanted a wife who could lift a car?  Their egos would be bruised. 

But things could be changed. He'd only told Tony of his plan - to which his friend had worked around the clock trying to right his father's miscalculations. They had the technology now, as well as Tony's 'genius' so he'd put it smugly. 

If he took her home? She could be her old self again, have the life that she had deserved before the government had taken her for their own personal science experiment. But she would have to learn to navigate the new world, just like he had. 

For all he knew she might not even agree, but it was worth the only shot he had. 

Dressed in his uniform, he walked into the club where she had told him that she had been on that night, scanning the room until his eyes came to rest on a corner. 

His heart stopped for a moment. It had been the first time in years that he'd seen her. Her hair pinned half up whilst the rest was down and curled. 

She looked sad, alone. He couldn't bear it. 

Making his way through, he finally got to her table. "This seat taken?" 

Anna now looked up and shook her head. "No, by all means take it if you need another for your table". 

"Actually, I was thinking about joining you". 

She smiled weakly. "You'd be the first, I'm afraid that I might not be much company". 

"Well how about a dance then?" 

Anna now chuckled. "I don't even know your name". 

He looked at her and smiled. "Steve Rogers..." 

Her face changed as it was clear to him that she recognised the name. But the current thought in her mind wondering how Captain America himself was here, alive and well. She didn't question it though, didn't ask for confirmation - maybe out of politeness or to simply respect his anonymity. 

"Do I have the pleasure of knowing your name?" He asked her, having to keep up his act. She couldn't know of how he was here and why. Not yet. 

Still, at least they finally had time on their side. 

She looked up at him with a shy smile., before taking his hand to get up to dance with him.

"It's Anna..."