Steve Rogers - Rogers (AU)

I drive down the dirt track that leads off of the main road from town, praying that I've got the right place and the nav system isn't just leading me on. A sign of relief escapes me as I see the sign though.

Serenity Creek Ranch.

There are some horses in the pastures that are grazing as I trawl pass, taking in the beautiful surroundings. Joanne told me that it was nice up here, but didn't really specify just how much. In fact she didn't say much about the place in retrospect at all - just that I needed to put the groceries on the porch and then leave.

Seems simple enough.

I haven't been in town long, but at the request of my mother who couldn't come and help my aunt herself, I offered to. Joanne's currently recovering from a stroke, something that shocked us all when we got the call. She's the healthiest woman I know, always active, always out jogging of a morning and when she's not? She's running the general store she and her ex husband set up as newly-weds - the American dream of hers soon dying once she found him in bed with another woman. Eight years of marriage down the drain, and she vowed never to remarry.

And she hasn't. She enjoys her life carefree and child free. The store being her 'baby', so you can imagine just how pissed she was when she doctors told her that she wasn't allowed to exhort herself for the next 6 months maximum. She's in her late forties, so I know she'll be back fighting fit in no time. But for now? It's up to me to help run the store and make any deliveries as needed.

I pull up outside the farmhouse and get out, taking the two bags of groceries that Joanne prepared earlier and heading to the porch to set them down.

There, easy enough.

I turn back and as I make my way to the truck, I see the most beautiful white horse in the field opposite. It cant hurt to stroke her. "Well aren't you just beautiful". I say as she nudges me as I stroke her. A voice then stopping me in my tracks.

"What are you doing here?" It's hostile to say the least and as I turn I see probably the most gorgeous man watching me - but with the most pissed off look ever. His jeans are dirtied from work, muscular arms apparent under his shirt with sleeves rolled up to the elbow. His hair is a dark blonde with a beard that makes him look rugged.

If he wasn't so annoyed then I'd be happy to stare at him all day.

"Sorry". I apologise, "She's a beautiful horse".

"What do you want? You a reporter?" He now stares at me coldly, muttering "For fuck sake - trespassers" under his breath.

I shake my head. "I just came to bring you your groceries".

He looks back to the porch and then to me again still sporting the same expression. "You dropped 'em off, now leave".

This annoys me now. "You could always say 'thank you' y'know? That wouldn't hurt in the slightest".

"And you could always learn not to stick around for too long on people's private property. Just like that sign over there clearly states". He points to the board that says 'NO TRESSPASSING' in big capital letters. "You made the delivery, now leave". He snaps. 

Geez this guy really is pissed about people being on his property. Perhaps in the past he's had trespassers, but he still could take note of the fact that I'm just delivering his groceries. Maybe that was way Joanne said just put the groceries down and leave.

"You always get this pissed with your delivery guys?" 

"Only when they start poking around my property". He glares. "I don't need people sticking their noses into my business".  

I glare back, "I wasn't 'poking' I was simply admiring your horse like any other person would. There's a difference!" I head for my truck and yank the door open, getting in and then leaning out of the open window. "Your ranch is lovely by the way. Your horse too. Shame your people skills aren't the same".

Then in a swift reverse, I drive out and back down the track - seeing him still watching as I go in my rear view mirror. "Asshole". I mutter as I get back to the main road and drive back into the town of Serenity Creek.

Pulling up outside the store, I walk in, the bell above the door jingling as Joanne looks up from her chair behind the counter. As much as I've told her to stay at home, she refuses to - stating that she needs to show me how things work around here. I suppose she's right. The locals love her though and are really friendly - well, everyone apart from the angry cowboy I've just met.

"You alright?" She frowns, sensing my annoyance.

"Who's the guy at the ranch that I've just done the deliveries for? Because let me tell you he's not exactly the nicest".

She grits her teeth and visibly winces. "That's Grant, don't worry about him".

"He got annoyed just for me telling him he had a nice horse".

Joanne sighs. "Grant's a very private person, hence why I told you to leave the groceries and just go".

"Well next time he can come into town and get his own damn groceries. Asshole didn't even say thank you! Even accused me of being a reporter! What's his deal?"

She shakes her head, but says nothing more in terms of information. "Like I said, he's a very private person, but once you get to know him he's just as friendly as the rest of us".

I snort. "Doubt that, anyway if I have to deliver to him again and see him? I'm gonna shove the groceries up his ass instead".

There's a chuckle. "Just leave them like I told you to. You don't have to speak to him anyway. Look, I'll give him a call and explain ok?"

"You don't need to explain anything. I already told him I was just bringing him what he ordered. Anyway, you should be putting your feet up with a coffee".

"Coffee my ass, if I'm socialising then I'll get better faster - besides you're here and doing lifting". She waves it off as the store's phone rings. Picking it up she answers. "Serenity Creek general store...oh, hey Grant". Her eyes flicker to me before she continues.

I simply roll mine and storm off into the back to get the stock I need to put out.

It's clear that Grant has rung to complain about me, and I couldn't give a shit. I was just doing my job after all. It's very clear that if we meet again? We're not going to get along at all.