Steve Rogers (AU) - The Star Spangled Man

Agent Phil Coulson sat in the delightfully furnished living room, eyes scanning around for any sign of the man who had invited him there today.

The call itself had come out of the blue. Many had assumed that when Steve Rogers disappeared from the public eye, that he'd died, gone to the moon and so on. Hollywood had been rife with rumours on the man who had brought 'Captain America' to the silver screen during the golden age of film. 
Over the years, many claimed to have sighted him, however nothing was ever confirmed. The mystery of what had happened to Steve Rogers had everyone baffled, when in truth only those close to him knew he'd simply retired - the spark having died and the want of a family becoming of much greater importance to him.

His greatest achievements? Well they had happened off screen, away from the prying eyes of many journalist and photographer alike.

Coulson only had to look at the many framed pictures on the man's sideboard to know that he had given up his fame for something far more precious.

"Agent Coulson..." An elderly man now walked into the room and smiled warmly. "It's a pleasure to meet you".

"Oh, no - the pleasure's all mine. I grew up on your films sir..."

Steve simply waved this away. "Just Steve is fine, no 'sir' here - makes me sound more important than I am".

Settling himself into a chair, he now watched Coulson retake his seat and looked at him. "I suppose you're wondering why I chose to call you here today?" On seeing Coulson nod he himself nodded silently and then reached for a picture that was set beside the chair that he usally sat in. "Fury told me that you were the best person for the job, and in all my years of working for SHIELD? Well, I know a truthful man when I see one".

Coulson frowned. "You worked for SHIELD?"

Steve nodded. "Back when it had got started. Howard Stark was a friend of mine, he helped make me who I was...not a dancing monkey, but someone who could have helped the country to win the war..."

"So what happened?" Coulson asked

"Wasted potential" Steve's gaze fell back to the picture in his hands. "Only something I could make up for myself if I walked away. Back then the SSR didn't want a lab rat to help them fight. After Dr Erskine died I was just palmed off to be a dancing monkey, then Hollywood got their hands on me. By the time I knew what was happening the war was over and I'd made my name through film. The only thing I don't regret is that it led to me meeting my wife".

Coulson took the picture from him and now looked, jaw almost dropping but now laughed to himself. "So you were Georgette Rivers mystery husband".

Georgette Rivers had been one of the most recognisable of starlets, alongside names such as Marilyn Monroe and Judy Garland. She'd started off as a dancer on the Captain America USO tour, and also starred in a film later on alongside Steve back in the late forties. From
Then on she had regular work with legends such as Gene Kelly, Gregory Peck and Carey Grant.

Her death had shaken Hollywood. A car accident taking her life at just the age of 40. She had still been working, making appearances up until then.
There had been many rumours of just who she had married, the father of her three children. Amongst those rumours, Steve's name had been mentioned although nothing had ever been confirmed...

Until now.

"She was a ball breaker, but the only woman I ever loved" Steve smiled weakly and it was clear that Coulson could see he was reminiscing in his head. "Which is why I called you here today". He shifted in his chair, "I don't think that Georgette's death was an accident, and I also don't think that Howard Stark's was either..."

"They were both accidents?"

"It's never sat right with me. Back when I worked for the organisation I was out there doing what I should have been. Standing up to bullies...but after Howard's death it seemed scarily similar to Georgie's".

Coulson sipped his coffee. "You think there was more to it?"

"From the things I've seen? I know there was more to it". Steve looked to him. "Something is out there Coulson, I don't know what it is, but I'm not capable of finding out anymore. I've not got long left, but I'd at least like to have some inkling of what happened to Georgette before I leave this place behind".

Coulson's heart sank. This was Steve's final attempt to learn the truth (if any) of what actually happened to his wife.

"You're Captain America...you can't leave..."

"The world left me behind long ago Coulson, and I spent the best years with the woman I loved, I got that family I wanted - sure it didn't go how I planned. I wanted to fight but I never got my chance to prove just what I'm capable of - only SHIELD helped me with that". Steve shrugged. "I just wanted to ask one last favour, find out what really happened to my wife, and if I'm not here when you do? At least be safe in the knowledge that I've found her again".

Coulson nodded. "I'll do all I can, Captain..."

Steve shook his head once more. "No one's called me that in years. I never even got to earn the title".

"You did...no doubt you know how many people are still watching your films, trying to solve where you went, you're up there with the greats".

Steve smiled. "I'll be sure to save you a seat when you get there".

Coulson put his cup down. "Is that all you wanted to see me about?"

"No, no I wanted to tell you everything. I think someone deserves to hear my story before I go - unless you have somewhere to be?"

Coulson smiled. "For you? I got all the time in the world".

"Best make yourself comfortable then". Steve chuckled. "It's gonna be a long story".