Prince!SteveRogers - Royale (AU)

A/N- This is set in modern day

**

"Did you miss me? Go on be honest". Came the amused question from the doorway where Louisa was busy typing up some letters on the Queen's behalf.

She looked up and then quickly realised who it was, getting to her feet and bobbing a quickly curtsey. "Your royal highness...welcome back".

"C'mon Lou, what did I say about formalities around me?" Steve now smirked as he walked further into her office.

"To keep to them when the Queen - your mother- is in earshot". She smirked and sat back down again. "How was Asgard? The media certainly covered a lot".

Steve perched on the edge of the desk and nodded. "As usual." He made a face.

Being the heir to the throne and a popular member of the Royal Family of Brooklyn, Steve's life had been watched by the public ever since he was a day old, being introduced to the worlds press on the steps of Brooklyn Palace. A babe in arms, and who would one day succeed his father King Joseph as the head of state.

Now in his early thirties, the world had grown up watching the Prince navigate his way, from his first day at school, to taking on duties and moulding himself into a man that many adored - women especially.

A Prince of the people, and one day - the King of them too .

Being the Queen's personal assistant, Louisa dealt with organising her public engagements, accompanying her on them, as well as royal tours. She would also reply to letters on the Queen's behalf, and there were many.

Since taking on the role a couple of years prior, Steve had always made an effort to speak to her, and although a little daunting at first, the more she became familiar with him, the easy it was to see that he was just a normal man behind the titles.

Sometimes the formality could slip between the pair though, and Louisa would curse herself for it after.

"I'm guessing you'd like to speak to your mother, I can ring through to her, she's only in her sitting room".

He shook his head. "It's fine, I just thought I'd come see how you were and to tell you I'm back - I need to meet with my father anyway".

"How wonderful, shall I ask for the abbey to let the bells toll at your return?" She smirked.

Steve grinned, "are you making fun of me Miss Hearst?"

"Never your highness" she smiled, "oh and Margaret is apparently visiting you this evening? If your assistant hasn't already told you".

"Yeah I've already spoke to Peg". His tone changed slightly.

Louisa frowned. "Don't get too excited, you'll burst a nerve".

"Is it bad for me to say that I'm not?" He threw her a look, "I think even you know with how things have been lately that it needs to end".

"I can't make that decision for you".

"I know". He said, shoving his hands into his trouser pockets and pacing the floor in front of the desk. "It's just confusing. I had some time to think about it in Asgard as well, I know father will be disappointed, quite possibly the public too".

Louisa smiled, "you really care what the public think?"

"At this stage in my life. Yes. If they don't have faith in me? How will they when I eventually take the throne? Not that I wanna think about that either".

"So don't? I think the public would prefer a man who knows what he's doing, what he wants".

Steve nodded, "anyway I'd best go and see the old man, is he in his office?"

"Where else would he be?" Louisa smirked.

He looked at her with a smile. She always seemed to put him at ease even if she didn't know it. "Right well, I'll let you get back to your letters".

Louisa stopped him, on realising she hadn't told him whether she'd missed him or not. "Oh and Steve? In answer to your first question? I did"

He smiled to himself, and nodded silently before disappearing out of the door.