Vampire!SteveRogers - Blood Lust (PT 2)

"You're staring..." Evangeline had felt the intensity of it rising from him from the moment she'd taken a seat at the dining table. She hadn't expected any human food to be served, however it turned out that blood was simply a beverage to keep Steve's strength up - not a lifestyle. Now he was seated at the head of the table, eyes on her and only her, his own food untouched for now.

"An acceptable response when there is a beautiful woman sat at my table". He shrugged and toyed with the dinner knife, spinning it around with the tip pressed to the tabletop.

"No, you are looking at me like I am a snack".

He smirked. "Well, you could be if you wanted?" Then saw her face. "It was a joke, you already know I'm not about to suck you dry...however if that were to be reciprocated by you..."

Eva took the wine glass, checking to make sure it wasn't blood and that he was trying to turn her that, before drinking it. "I'm not that kind of woman. You find them in the brothels in town".

"Been there, tried it - not my thing. My offer still stands though if you find yourself at a loose end..." He shrugged and cut into his steak.

"How long have you lived here for?"

"Too many years to count. Can't even remember how old I am to be honest". He said, finishing one mouthful.

She smirked. "And still you've never thought about hiring a gardener".

The inside of the home was lavish compared to the outside that looked run down and abandoned. Steve now shook his head. "No need. Only those like me can see the real exterior..."

"Are we talking about you or your mansion?"

He chuckled. "The second of course. I have a witch friend who was able to charm the outside to make it look the way you see it. Other vampires however? They see the real thing".

"Is it a way to catch a midnight snack? Or people like me who just think they have an abandoned place to sleep?"

"If anything it's been a good deterrent for humans. Although sometimes if the craving kicks in then I might see just who deserves to never leave..."

Eva looked up from her plate. "Like me then".

"The circumstances with you are different. You need protection..."

She toyed with the food on her plate. "You ever been married? Wife and kids you're hiding somewhere?"

Steve shook his head. "Never. We have mates - but you can never tell when they could appear. In some cases they don't. Could be early in our lives or later".

"What about the ones who don't?"

"I wouldn't really know, usually those in the army are more at risk of dying. So they tend to be the ones who never find them".

Eva blinked. "The army?"

He nodded. "What? You think we drink blood all day and turn into bats at night? Wrong. Well, half right - we have wings..."

"How come I can't see them? And you have fangs too right?"

"Those only come out to play when the blood-lust is high". He smirked and reached for the glass that Eva was sure did not contain wine. "I've had years, centuries of learning to control. You don't have to worry, I can still see you think I'm about to sink my teeth into you".

She slowly began to eat, a little surprised at just how opulent everything looked and tasted compared to how it did at home. Well, it was no longer home. This place was. "It's...good..."

"I should hope so, the servants have spent the afternoon slaving away to make it right for you".

Eva looked around. "How come I haven't seen them?"

"They keep a low profile, although I've selected one to tend to you now that you're going to be staying here. You need anything? Then you tell her and she'll see it's given to you".

They ate in silence, Eva not being able to finish the meal - but Steve wasn't offended. If anything she looked as though she needed it. "I'll show you to your room". He told her, rising from his chair and rounding the table, offering his hand for her to take.

Hesitantly, she took it and stood up.

Steve led them upstairs and showed her to the room that was to be hers. "You have your own bathroom just through there..." He pointed to an adjourning room where there was a large bathtub. The whole room was just extravagant. If this was simply a guest bedroom then what was his like? "I'll send the servant up later with some towels, you should get yourself settled, sleep perhaps - you've had a long day".

"I don't think I could sleep after what's happened. What if they do come back after all and look for me?"

He snorted at this. "They'd be stupid to. But, if you find sleep hard to come by, my room is down the other end of the hall. I'll be up for a while yet", now glancing at the clock that sat on the mantle above the fireplace. "Just know that you're safe here - no matter what. Goodnight Evangeline".

She watched him leave and close the doors behind him, wondering whether she should listen out for the turn of a lock or something. Her trust still wavered somewhat, but she knew that the only person who she had left to defend her was him.

And that was what scared her more than ever.