Steve Rogers - Temperance Sequel End (AU)

A/N - SPOILERS! If you have not read Temperance then may I suggest you avoid this one shot.

**

Well this is a new low.

I've barely had time to register what has happened until I'm flat on my back looking up at the chaos that is the battle in the skies as well as on the ground. The world went to shit before, and now history is repeating itself once again with Thanos and his army. A massive explosion now signifying that. I have no idea what it is - hopefully not one of my friends, but right now I have problems of my own.

I don't need to lift my head to see just how bad things are for me, seeing the shield partially embedded in my stomach. All the while the design is staring me back in the face. A rather morbid reminder of what I was meant to stand for. And that purple motherfucker had the audacity to take me out with my own weapon.

"Oooooh, I fucked uuuup". I whisper to myself and take my eyes from it. I don't need any doctor to tell me what I already know.

"Aless!" I hear someone yell as suddenly Steve is by my side and Bucky the other. The man who has been a brother to me for the last five years now shaking his head and repeating 'no' all over again whilst he appears to be shaking. His face etched in pain. At first I wonder whether it's because he's injured, but then I realise it's because of me.

Steve looks at the shield and then to me. Both of us know this isn't gonna end happily. "Guess I wasn't cut out to be Cap 2.0". I tell him with a small shrug. I can move the upper part of my body, but the lower half is shot.

"You're more than that. But right now? We need to focus on getting you someone who knows how to deal with this and..."

"Steve...we both know I'm not walking or even so much as rolling away from this. Take the shield out, please?" My request is small, but I manage to not let my voice shake in front of him.

Already I can feel myself beginning to fade, and the last thing I wanna see is my own weapon staring me back in the face.

Bucky now shakes his head. "Steve, it'll kill her", he warns. It's obvious it will to anyone.

I smile up at him. "Shit happens - I could've died at Cap Camp when they all but signed me up, but Steve didn't let me. But now I'm asking him to. I'm not walking away from this Buck, I may be a super soldier but no one's invincible. No one escapes death. It slowed for Steve and me, but I guess I've just gotta face it now". I take his hand and give it a comforting squeeze. "And I'm ok with that".

Steve cradles my head in his lap. "Tony...you there?" He asks through the ear piece.

"Kinda Cap...that pretty little explosion almost took my arm off, and I guess nearly my face, but I'm otherwise unscathed, still handsome...kinda dizzy though..." Typical Stark. I don't know how bad of a state he's in, but I hope it's not level with mine.

"Shit". Steve mutters as the others begin to come over on seeing the absolute car wreck that I look like.

The sky is clear now. None of Thanos' ships or armies flying above. I glance around but it seems everything has come to an end. "Did we win?"

Steve smiles weakly. "Yeah...we did". Only then can I see his eyes are glassed over.

"You crying Captain? Over me?"

"For you? I always will Kennedy, and I suppose I always have done as well". Damn. He has a way with words - even when scolding me years back when I first arrived for Cap training.

Has it really been that long? How come I'm only just coming to realise that it has been years. And I've changed a lot since then. Not just physically, but I've grown with everything that's happened.

I run a hand down Steve's cheek and cup it. "Let me go - please?"

"I've had the guts to kill men like Red Skull, people I didn't want to for the sake of war. But I can't kill you". His eyes go to the shield with a glare, however his words are laced with defeat.

I swallow and know that if I don't do this now? I'm only dragging things out. "It was good while it lasted. At least for me it was".

"Even those crappy hotels?" Bucky now half laughs, half sobs.

"Even those". I tell him.

He gives me a gentle kiss on my forehead. "Thanks Bec".

Without warning I pull the shield out with a pained yelp and fling it to the side, now really feeling the pressure, but also everything draining from me at the same time. I don't ponder on the things that I won't see or get to do. Why bother when I just want to focus on what's here at present - aside from the destroyed Avengers Campus and what not, but hey, we got everyone back right? That was half of earth's population that was lost and we got them back. Losing me isn't going to make any kind of difference now. I'm just one person.

"Hey, Rogers?" I look up at him as he now cradles me close in his arms. "I love you, don't forget that".

"Love you too Aless". He pushes my hair back and keeps me held into him. I take in everything. His body, every part of his face I trace down in my mind so I can remember it.

"We'll have that day where we can finally not have to run or hide anymore. I promise, but today? It's not ours".

Time to go.

He nods and kisses me gently. There is nothing more left to say. We've said all that we need to.

This is how I want to die. In his arms with his lips on mine. And so I do, hearing Steve saying my name as it echoes and begins to disappear.

It was more than enough for me, because I'm safe in the knowledge that Steve Rogers was once mine.