Frank Adler - Off Duty (PT 2)

He'd seen her on Friday at Fergs, but it just had to be halfway through talking to the girl that he was trying to pick up. When life handed Frank Adler shit, it handed it to him good. Of course if Officer Sterling had seen him, she certainly hadn't made any inclination to suggest for him to come and talk. He'd turned back to talk to the girl, to try and make some excuse so he could finish the conversation there and then, but as he glanced back to where Daisy had been, she was nowhere to be seen. Of course there was nothing more than to just continue sweet talking the girl into one night of fun. It's all they were. Just a night. He always wondered whether the women he took home would be someone who could become more to him and Mary. A stable unit.

Of course they weren't. 

Now here he was, standing looking up at the tree he'd shoved Fred into as the patrol car pulled up and Daisy got out.

"Mr Adler, we meet again - what can I do for you?" She asked, coming towards him, hair in a high ponytail. He'd only seen her with it down on Friday night. This seemed to be her usual look while on duty so it seemed.

He glanced up at the tree. "So, er...my cat got stuck..."

Daisy looked at him and then at the tree before letting out a heavy sigh. "And you felt that this was a matter for law enforcement".

"Well yeah, enforce getting him down from the tree?" He smiled hopefully.

"Mr Adler, I could arrest you for wasting valuable police time, I gave you my card for educational purposes and emergences only".

"This is an emergency. He's a one eyed cat and he's in a tree". Frank pointed up to Fred who just looked down at them with his beady eye.

Daisy shook her head as she paced slowly. "So you call the damn fire department or get a la-"

Both of them now looked as Fred jumped down happily and began to brush himself around Daisy's legs. Her expression changed to one that was unimpressed as she now looked back at Frank. "Well...what do you know..."

"Yeah..." He laughed nervously. "Would you look at that...the idiot got himself down..."

Fred was a damn traitor.

"You put him in the tree didn't you". The look on her face was still there.

Frank nodded. "I may have given him a little push..."

"Goodbye Mr Adler". She turned and began to walk back to the patrol car, Frank going after her.

"Okay! Okay! Look, I'm sorry, real sorry - but I just wanted to see you again".

He hadn't thought about anyone but her since Friday night, well, even their first meeting. Even the one nighter he'd had at Fergs hadn't been enough to cloud his mind. 

Daisy shook her head. "I did not give you my contact number to use as a date line! You're lucky I'm not arresting you right now!"

In his opinion, those cuffs did look fun though...

"What is it gonna take to avoid another meeting like this happening? Or to even stop you from calling? What's next? You want me to try and reach a shirt that you can't in your closest?" She crossed her arms.

"One drink with me - that's all".

"One". She replied. "Just one - no more".

He nodded and threw his hands up in earnest. "Nothing more, nothing less".

She contemplated it for a moment and then nodded. "Okay, just one drink -you promise not to put your cat in a tree again, or do other dumb crap that you'll waste my time with?"

Frank put a hand over his heart. "Scouts honour".

"Right well, I'm not on duty again Friday night. 7pm at Fergs" She told him and got into the car, rolling down the window. "Oh, and Frank?"

"Yeah?"

"You may be handsome, but try sweet talking me like you did with that girl on Friday? I will tazer you".

He grinned. "Now that sounds intriguing, officer".

"I didn't mention where I would aim for". She smiled sweetly. "See you Friday".

Before he could say anything else to her, she drove off - leaving him standing there in the realisation that she had actually agreed to have a drink with him.

Friday couldn't come any sooner.