Frank Adler - The Boatman

"Are we gonna get to take this one out?" Mary asked her uncle hopefully as she sat in the corner of the workshop. She'd been fairly quiet, which was unusual given that any other time she didn't leave him alone.

Frank looked over at her. "It ain't ready yet, plus it's a big job".

"How big?"

"As big as the boat" he replied, continuing to work on the parts of engine he had on his workbench. The current job he was working on was taking up most of his time, but the owner was some millionaire and paying him well. It would take time though, just like it was now.

"Can I see it?" She now asked

Frank looked over. "Tomorrow, I'm too busy with this at the moment" He didn't wanna be in the workshop this late in the afternoon but he was.

She pouted. "But I wanna see if your exaggerating"

"Because I always exaggerate". He huffed, words filled with no enthusiasm whatsoever. "Done your homework?"

"Stupid question".

He now turned to her, scolding her as he pointed the wrench to her. "Manners". She'd been around him for far too long, picking up his sarcasm and at times, his grumpiness.

"What? You know I always do it" she hopped off her chair and came to stand next to the bench.

"Now's not the time to be getting smart with me Mary".

Frank was just about to lecture her when he saw a woman standing watching them. "Can I help?" He now asked, wiping his hands and looking at her.

"I came about the boat? My father couldn't reach you on your cell so he asked whether I could come down here to see when it would possibly be complete?"

"Boat's ready when I say it is". He said, turning back to the engine, "and as you can see, it's not". He really didn't wanna waste anymore time with small talk.

The woman nodded looking a little awkward, "right, yes well I'll get him to give you a call tomorrow..." and turned, ready to leave.

"Why'd you snap at her?" Mary now asked.

He sighed, knowing he shouldn't have spoken to her the way he should've. "Sorry...it's been a long day - long job too."

She looked back at him. We was "It's ok, I'll tell him it'll be another week or so"

"You don't have to, I'll give him a call tomorrow".

"What's your name boatman?" She now asked turning back to him with interest.

"Frank Adler". He replied.

She smiled, now seeing the young girl next to the workbench. "You helping to fix the yacht too?"

"I'm not allowed to touch that stuff, but Frank takes me with him when we test them out, and sometimes Fred too".

"Fred?"

Frank rolled his eyes. "Yeah...the inconvenient pet I gave into her having"

The woman now laughed lightly. "A dog?"

"Cat, he's got one eye". It was now Mary's turn to exaggerate as she attempted to scare the woman with the thought.

Frank shrugged at her as she look at him. She was petite, skin tanned by the Florida sun with blonde hair also naturally bleached from just that. "He's a cyclops"

"Which makes him all the more special. You never know, perhaps you and Fred will have a chance to come out onto the yacht once it's fixed". The woman turned back to Mary and winked. "Anyway I'd better be going..."

"Wait..." Frank now found himself saying. "I didn't get your name".

The woman smiled at him with a mischievous glint in her eye. "Maybe if I see you again I'll tell you..."

He watched her leave and smirked to himself with a shake of the head, then seeing Mary sporting the same look. "What?"

"She was pretty".

"Yeah? So what?"

Mary shrugged, "just that you always ask pretty girls to go out on Fridays, why didn't you this time?"

He looked a little smug. "Because I'm gonna ask her next time, just like I'm gonna ask for her name".

"How do you know you'll see her again? You got all Cranky Franky with her".

Frank turned back to the workbench, still smiling to himself and not even bothering to argue with her over the 'Cranky Franky' comment. "I dunno, guess I'm just gonna have to wait and see".