Nomad!SteveRogers - Hideaway (NYE Version)

Madeline poured herself another glass of wine and settled down onto the sofa, pulling the blanket over her and opening her book. The TV was on low in the background with the New Year's Eve countdown festivities being televised as normal.

She'd spent Christmas with her family, but her mind had been elsewhere. It had been with Steve.

Was he ok? Where in the world was he? Certainly not England or America. Perhaps Italy? Germany? Either way he was alone at Christmas, and she would have given everything for him to have returned - even for a night - just to spend it with her.

Outside in the distance, some fireworks were already going off. People were having parties at home or out at bars. Madeline was past the partying stage, and now much preferred to stay in. If anything she'd be asleep while everyone else rang in the New Year.

Her mobile rang, Madeline glancing over at the number that was unknown. She ignored it, for all she knew it could be a scammer.

As the phone rang off, it was swiftly followed by a message.

It's me. I'm outside - S.

Immediately she was up and at the back door like a shot, throwing it open as a tired looking Steve now walked in, closing it behind him and then taking her face in his hands to kiss her hard.

She couldn't help it. She already felt the tears sliding down her cheeks as his mouth savoured hers. "You came back..."

"I told you I always will". He murmured. "I couldn't see another year in alone - not without you".

This was the longest he'd been gone - well, it had felt like that for both of them. "Get your suit off and take a shower, I'll make some tea..."

"Got anything stronger?" He asked with a smirk.

"Wine, brandy, whiskey?" She offered.

"Whiskey's fine". He said as she went to the cupboard and got a glass, then pouring him one. He downed it as soon as she passed it to him. "I needed that".

Madeline headed through into the living room and got her wine. "How long will you stay this time?"

He scratched the back of his neck. "I'm not sure...as long as I can. You know the risk as much as I do - but I had to come back".

She took his hand and led him upstairs, both of them shedding their clothes and then getting into the shower. The water crashed over them as he gently hoisted her up against the wall like she weighed nothing at all, their lips hungry and wanting one another. She kept her arms around his neck tightly, Steve slipping inside of her slowly. The moan of delight she made was enough to send him wild, and now he also noticed she was crying again.

"Am I hurting you?" He paused for a moment - checking incase it was just shower water. But no. It was tears.

She shook her head. "Sorry...I just...I can't believe you're back".

He rested his forehead against hers, droplets of water falling from his hair. "Let's just make the most of it while we still can".

Madeline nodded against him and they began to move together once more, the ambient sound of distant fireworks setting the mood. "Keep looking at me sweetheart". He ordered quietly, feeling her begin to shake against him. Her eyes kept themselves fixed on his as she came, the feel of her doing so making him now release deep inside of her.

Her legs were still shaking as he put her down, the pair showering off and then getting out. "I'll go and get the rest of the wine". She told him, going down to get the bottle and another glass. When she returned she found him in a fresh set of clothes. She'd kept a drawer for him whenever he came back - just so he wasn't walking around in the suit all the time. "You look tired".

He sighed. "I am. Been tired for a hell of a long time".

She poured him some wine and they slipped into bed, "Do you ever miss it? The forties?"

"Sometimes but not as much as I did. This is home now. I still have a duty to do the right thing though, Captain or not".

"No, you don't" she turned his head to face her and looked at him. "You've done enough. Even a Captain needs a life to. You've barely had one". She paused. "You could still have one".

Steve leant in and kissed her, both of them tasting the wine they'd consumed. "I know - but I can't put you in danger more than I already am. I don't know what's gonna happen to me".

"I can still at least hope. But for now I want to make the most of having you. It's New Year's Eve, I don't want to see it in depressed that you could be gone within a few days".

He glanced at the clock. 11:59pm. "Then let's see the new year in like everyone else. Celebrating being together".

The clock turned to midnight, more fireworks now being set off as Madeline brought her lips to his. "Happy new year, Captain".

A rumble rose in the back of his throat. "Say it again..."

Taking his glass, she placed it on the side table and then kissed him again. "Happy new year, Captain".