Andy Barber - Silver Linings (sequel)

A/N - If you haven't read Silver Linings then some bits may not make sense ;) If you have then enjoy!

**

The garden was filled with laughter from both adults and kids alike, the friend circle that Andy had become used to now in their backyard. The women sitting around the table gossiping whilst the men were standing around with beers to hand.  So far, a very successful party. 

It was the 4th of July, and a time where pretty much everyone came together to celebrate, Gen announcing to him just weeks before that they would be hosting. "I thought it was just gonna be us three?" Andy had frowned as he'd shrugged his jacket off after coming home from work and being told the news. In truth he still was quite a solitary person but would make exceptions now and then depending on the occasion. Perhaps it was the fact he just wanted his family to himself this year. 

Family. 

Three of them. 

"I know, but with Sadie and Josh renovating their back yard? I just thought it would be nice if we actually hosted? I mean if you don't want to..." 

"No. I want to" He smiled as he kissed her. "I haven't had a celebration for it since Jake was alive, so it'll be nice to actually be together with everyone for the first time ever". 

Currently his favourite little person was being chased around the garden by some of the older children who loved to make a fuss of her. 

His Cora. 

Now at nearly two years old, she had a little personality of her own. She adored her father just as much as he did with her and would wait by the door with her toys every evening for him to walk through it. The bond he had with her was obviously different to the one that he and Jacob had, but even if she wasn't his blood, she was still his in Andy's eyes. 

He was on barbecue duty with Sadie's husband Josh, who he actually got along with quite well considering they were rather different. It was nice to have friends, and since returning to Newburyport, marrying Genevieve and ultimately finding so peace with himself and his life, he knew that perhaps it was best to stay. They'd talked about moving away, but the town held so much history for them both that in the end they'd decided to simply stay and make more memories. 

"Oh no" He muttered, seeing Cora now fall flat on her face and begin crying. She got to her little feet and wailed as she ran over to him. 

"DADDY!" 

Andy crouched down and picked her up, checking her over. "Time for a daddy cuddle to make everything better I think, you're ok". He soothed and saw Gen now making her way over a little concerned. "Another tumble, too excited" He assured his wife. 

"Let's see you", she said, checking her daughter over and giving her a kiss. "Magic mommy kiss". 

"And magic daddy kiss" Andy did the same, kissing Cora's head. "Does Mommy want one too?" 

"Always". Gen grinned and he kissed her and then passed Cora to her. "Do we need more burgers?" 

He nodded, looking back at the barbecue. "Yeah, could you grab me another beer as well gorgeous?" 

"Well, when you ask me like that, how can I say no?" She smirked and put a wriggling Cora back down so she could go and play with the other kids again. 

Once she'd returned, Andy slipped his arm around her waist, watching while Cora giggled while being chased around. "God, I didn't think I could love her any more than I do". He said. "But just look at her". 

Gen leant her head against his shoulder. The discussion about having any more children had been one they'd had even before marrying. She understood Andy's reasons for not wanting anymore just as he understood hers. Cora was enough for them, the three being the strong family unit that both had wanted and needed. If he'd not come back and met Gen again? Then Andy knew that it wouldn't have ended up great for him. 

"Cuddle!" Cora now came up and demanded, "Daddy cuddle!"

He scooped her up in his arms again. "Ready for Uncle Josh to try and blow himself up lighting fireworks later on?" He asked and she nodded, even not know what the statement meant. 

"Uncle Josh is a firework expert!" Josh now smirked back, taking a swig of beer. "Ain't that right Sadie?" He called over to his wife who simply held up her glass of wine and took a swig. 

"She's wasted already, she'll probably be passed out under the table with Natalie by the time we get around to the fireworks". Gen told her husband. 

Hours later, darkness had fallen over the town, and everyone stood around, watching as the fireworks zoomed up into the sky, sending out blasts of colorful explosions. Cora still found them too loud and put her hands over her ears, nuzzling into Andy's neck - Gen knowing that he was her safe place. 

He kissed their daughter's head before leaning over and giving his wife one on her lips. "You alright?" 

Gen nodded. "The question is, are you?" 

Andy looked back at the sky, knowing somewhere Jacob was watching and always would be. 

"Yeah...I've got all that I need right here.