Frank Adler - Off Duty

If Officer Daisy Sterling knew anything about kids, it was that for one, they shouldn't be walking by a dangerous road on their own, and two? This was the time of day when they should be in school. So why was this child walking with intent along the side of the road? Ok she was on a grassy verge, but she could only look at least eight? It was an educated guess on her part, but now she pulled the patrol car over beside the girl and rolled down the window.

"Where you heading sweetheart?" She asked as the girl was looking angry. Not at her, but perhaps just with life in general.

"Home". Was all she muttered.

Daisy smiled. "You want a ride? Roads can get dangerous if you walk too close to them, and maybe you can tell me why you're out here when I think you should be in school?" She eyed the blonde haired child knowingly.

"I'm not going back to that place, you can tell that to Frank". Her tone was demanding.

"Frank...that your dad?" She asked.

"Uncle, he was the one who sent me to that place - but I'm not going back".

Daisy looked at her and then nodded, stepping out of the patrol car and looking down at the girl. "My name's Daisy by the way, what's yours?"

"Mary".

"You got a last name Mary?"

"Adler".

Daisy nodded and called into control that she was attending a potential lost child incident, asking whether any calls had come in. One. From a school not too far. "Ok, well I have her here and will be taking her back to her uncle - we got an address for him?" she asked and noted it down. Turning back to Mary she sighed. "Your uncle's already been called. He's gonna meet us at your home - now, you wanna ride up front?"

Mary smiled lightly and nodded.

Escorting her into the passenger side, Daisy then got back in. Mary looked around in awe. "Wow...do you arrest bad guys?"

"Sure do, but I also help people like you. My job covers a lot". She smiled. It was always nice to have the kids be interested in what she did, and she was only too happy to let them sit in the car and press the siren. That was the winner. "So, you wanna tell me what happened at school today that made you wanna go home?"

Mary was was silently brooding for a moment before she came out with it. "They had me doing boring stuff. Stuff I already know like 1+1" she droned.

"Oh yeah? You know your math?"

"Yeah, a lot more stuff than that".

Daisy grinned as she kept her eyes on the road. "I was never any good at it. I liked being outdoors more. Track mainly - certainly helps with my job".

"You a fast runner?" Mary asked.

"When I have to be". She chuckled. "But that's only when someone decides to resist arrest".

Turning into a road, there were a cluster of homes painted in pastel colours, like a small community. "That's my house there". Mary pointed as Daisy pulled into a parking bay. "Oh crap...there's Frank".

Looking up, she now laid eyes on a rather annoyed looking man in scruffy jeans and a t'shirt. He was handsome, but his features told her that he was tired. She didn't know how this was going to go, what kind of relationship the pair had, but Mary got out and slowly shuffled towards him while Daisy followed.

"Mr Alder?"

"Officer, thanks for finding her - I can assure you that I'm gonna be speaking to her about how we don't just walk right on outta school after yelling at the principal". He now aimed the comment at Mary who muttered her apologies. Frank sighed. "Go get yourself inside, I won't be a moment".

Daisy watched her go and then turned to Frank. "Has she done this before?"

"No. Today was her first day...she was home schooled before that. She needs social interaction with kids her own age though, it's doing her no good being cooped up inside".

"I see, well she certainly knows her own mind".

He chuckled slightly. "Unfortunately I think that comes from me. I've spoken to her teacher and the principal. She's going back tomorrow, but she's not gonna be pulling shit like this again".

"All that matters is that she's safe. If you want then I can speak to her about safety and school?"

Frank brushed it off. "It's fine, but thanks anyway officer..."

"Sterling. Daisy to my friends". She told him and then handed him a card. "I'm on this number if you need me".

He smirked. "Can it be used if I wanted to call for a date?"

She'd heard it all before and shook her head. "Believe me Mr Adler, it's not a calling card for you to hassle me. So no". There was no denying he was cute though. If they'd had met under different circumstances then maybe she'd have said yes.

He shrugged it off and put the card in the back of his jeans pocket. "Hey, it was worth a shot".

"Have a good day Mr Adler". She smiled and gave him a nod.

Walking back to the patrol car, she noticed he was still watching her as she got in and pulled away. What she didn't know was that a chance invitation to Fergs on Friday night would be her next run in with Frank Adler.