Andy Barber - Daddy's Little Girl

Andy stirred on hearing the vibration of his phone on the table next to the bed. Palming for it, he squinted as the light from the screen showed exactly who was calling, and at just how late of an hour it was to be doing so.

Sliding the bar across, he answered it. "Hey sweetheart...you ok?"

"Hey daddy..." Came Isla's quiet voice.

He propped himself up a little more, looking back to make sure he wasn't waking Pippa. "You alright? "

"Yeah I...I can't really sleep". She admitted.

He chuckled lowly. "Miss your old man that much eh? We literally left you this afternoon".

"I know...Guess I just kinda have to get used to a new room, new bed..."

"What about your dorm mates? Are they ok?" He asked, wondering whether his daughter was regretting going off to college after not even spending a whole day there.

"They're nice - just gotta get to know them a little more".

She sounded homesick already and Andy had known that she would be. It had been different circumstances for him. He'd been raring to get away and live on his own, but his daughter? It was new and scary.

"And you will, it's what this week is for. To start meeting new friends and to familiarise yourself with your new surroundings. You'll get through it La La, and soon I'm pretty sure you won't even wanna come back to us, your mom and I won't be as cool as you've always said".

"Yeah right, you and mom are the coolest".

"Try telling that to your brother". He mused and then got out of bed so as he could talk a little louder downstairs.

Andy could hear Isla shifting about. "I could tell you about the wild parties we had back when we were in college".

"Anything but the foam one". She warned, knowing full well that it was the night of her conception. That was something she didn't need to hear the details about.

He laughed, "You sure? It was wil-"

"No!" Isla interrupted, "No, no...I may be able to withstand some of the inappropriate things you guys do, but I really don't need to know about how I was made thanks".

Ok, now it was time to be real evil, "Just know that your mom was a firecracker!"

"Oh my god daaaaaad! Noooooo!" Isla groaned painfully.

"Still missing home?"

"Not now thanks". She had some of the humour back in her voice. "Jake claimed my room yet?"

Andy grinned, settling himself on the couch a little more. "He's been eyeing it up".

"You tell him to stop being a little shit, he literally sent me a message on my bed saying that the room was his".

Andy chuckled at this. "He just likes to push your buttons".

"I love him, but I wanna murder him". Isla now said sinisterly.

"Woooah there, we don't need any murder in this family thanks very much". 

At least, not anymore.

His father was still rotting away in some jail and there he'd stay. Andy wasn't about to visit him anytime soon.
Pippa knew all about what had gone on, after he'd drunkenly confided in her one night at college. The next morning he'd asked just how much he had told her, to which she had shrugged and said, "you told me he was dead?"

She knew, but Andy saw through her. She was being kind and not bringing up the fact he'd spilled everything in a drunken state of Jack Daniels and coke.

They had spoke no more about it.

"Miss you daddy". Isla now said, going quiet again.

"Miss you more beautiful, c'mon cheer up and try and get some sleep? You'll feel better in the morning".

"Did you feel the same?"

"I felt positive, I had my own freedom - you should feel happy your mom's not talking to you because you know what she'd say?"

"Suck it up". Isla laughed. "Ok, I'll try and sleep".

"Remember what I said ok? You wanna come home then you let me know".

"Does tonight count?"

He grinned to himself, "No, you've gotta give it a chance ok?"

"Okay", Isla gave in. "I'll try and get some sleep, night daddy - I love you"

Andy's heart swelled, but he knew his girl would be more than ok.

"Love you more sweetheart".