Dark!SteveRogers - Ascension

She hadn't noticed him standing and watching as she looked longingly out of the window, trying to put together her thoughts piece by piece. But Steve knew that for Queen Haven, they were ones of turmoil. After all, she had the weight of the whole kingdom upon her shoulders and as well as threats from the Hydra Court - from the one known as 'The Serpent', she had every reason to worry.

He realised now that she hadn't wanted this. It had been clear from her expression from the moment he'd first met her - and that had been when he was sworn in as her new advisor. Most of her father's old ones disagreeing with the choice of changing the line of succession. After all, Haven was the youngest out of her Three elder siblings - all sons, and she the only girl.

It had been a stab in the back for all of them to say the least, and an uproar had ensued. But no matter how bitter the Princes were, they had no choice but to heed the words that their father's will contained. Whether Haven wanted the crown or not.

It had been the latter as he had found out, discovering her sobbing in her room and trying to make sense as to why her father would grant her such power and position, when she was a woman, and her brothers older and wiser. The coronation had followed just two days later in a rush by those who backed her to secure her place - more so to prevent an impending war with the Hydra court.

After all, they were the ones responsible for the death of the King. His majesty by the hands of 'The Serpent' himself. It had been bloody and had cost the kingdom many many - a blow to their army for sure, but it would gain its numbers back in no time.

The Hydra court was stronger though, even in numbers.

"Your majesty..." He now stepped further into the room to make himself known.

"I am aware that you have been standing there for the last five minutes my lord. I am not as stupid as my court believe me to be".

Steve smirked to himself. "And I have never thought such a thing".

A lie. He really had until he'd met her in person. Only then did he have to stand corrected on that. Only now could he see why her father had chosen her instead of one of his sons.

She turned around and sighed. "I believe that you could be the only one then. Do I really have to attend this stupid dinner?"

"If I do, then you certainly do". He chuckled. "And believe me, I'm sure that you wouldn't leave me having to listen to Lord Thaddeus for the whole evening".

"The man is a bore who only pretends to support me in the hopes that I will somehow make a marriage alliance with his son".

Steve snorted at this. Over his dead body. Haven would now have every eligible son from Kings and Queens alike, visiting with the hopes of making a union. Of course they would say it was for the benefit of both kingdoms, but Steve knew otherwise. No man would stand to have his wife in power, and the play for her hand would be simply to take it all from her, leaving her just to be a bearer of heirs like all other Queens.

He now sat the crestfallen look on her face, and walked over to her. "We'll have a safe word, you need to get out then you summon me and simply say it".

"I suppose I shall just have to put up with it. They'll just think that I don't care if I get up and leave halfway through".

"Well if you do need to, just call me over".

Her next words threw him though. "Do you think 'The Serpent' will try to kill me like he did with father? I wouldn't blame him, in fact I'm tempted to invite him here just to get it over with. It would make everyone's life easier, more so mine".

Steve shook his head. "I doubt it. He'd be a fool to do so, so soon after war. The palace is heavily guarded though, so you are safe".

"I will never be safe Steven, not when I know there are people out there who want my head. The same threats as father had and now new ones. Guards or not, they know I am weak".

She was, but he wasn't going to tell her that. If anything with this role she could prove to be stronger than anyone would think her to be.

"The Serpent won't be paying you a visit any time soon your highness". He assured her as he offered his arm or her to take, so as he could accompany her down to the hall.

No. The Serpent wouldn't be, because he had already slithered his way inside the walls with intent purpose, and now was accompanying 'his Queen' to the great hall...