Chris Evans - Eyes Open (PT 2)

I check my watch later on in the evening and yawn - it's been a long day and I can't leave yet. I don't want to upset Scott, although I'm sure he'd pretty much tell me to go take his room upstairs like old times.

That was always the way. If it was so late that we were too tired to cross the driveway to one another's houses we'd just stay with one another for the night. Our mom's weren't worried and always knew where we were. Too many Saturday mornings I woke up at the Evans home - and in my awkward teenage years, I found myself too shy to stay for breakfast when Lisa offered.

It meant having to look at Chris...

I drink some more of the beer from the bottle resting in my lap and just listen to conversations from a distance, looking up and panicking inside as I see Chris now making his way over and coming to sit in the vacant chair next to me. "So...how about that catch up?" He asks as I smile faintly - reverting back to that awkward teenager again.

"I could always say no and leave you hanging". I smirk.

"Would you really?" He throws me a sly look. "And here was me thinking you were still sweet and innocent".

I let out a rather unladylike snort and shake my head. "Even Scott knows I'm far from that. Besides, you thought I was irritating when we were younger".

He frowns. "No I didn't? What makes you think that?"

I shrug. "Well you never really used to speak to me, in fact I think this is the most that we've spoken to one another our whole lives". I now point out.

He toys with the rim of his own beer bottle, racing his finger round and round before he speaks again. "I mean, you were like a little sister at first, you and Scott always were around and being the older one of course there were times where we all needed our own space..." there's a pause. "But then as we got older? Things just, changed. I felt weird because you were Scott's friend and I shouldn't be feeling like that about you".

My heart stops for a moment. Is he admitting that he liked me? "Feel what? I mean, felt what?" I say and correct myself. He clearly doesn't feel that way now that's for sure.

He lets out a chuckle but it's an embarrassed one. "I, er...I began to notice you more. I liked you, really liked you".

I take a swig of beer to hide my awkwardness at this point. "You had a crush on me?"

"I know right, it felt illegal". He glances across to me. "If you rat me out to Scott..."

We both laugh at this and I shake my head again. "No way am I ever letting him in on this. He'll rip into us both".

"Both?"

"Yeah...I mean I kind of always liked you, even when I knew I shouldn't. It's kind of the thing though isn't it? Have a crush on your best friends brother if he's cute?"

I can see the tug of his lips at the corner forming into a smile. "You think I'm cute?"

"No I think you're an asshole". I joke lightly. "But I did once upon a time". No way am I admitting that he just seemed to get hotter with age as the years have gone on. "It's weird how sometimes I wish I could go back to that time, just to relive a day or so. The sleepovers, Easter eggs hunts and parties".

They were the best, even if he thinks otherwise.

"I mean we can still have all of those now..."

I look at him, both of us sporting the same knowing expression. "I don't think think it would be appropriate to have a sleepover with my best friends brother...now that would feel illegal".

"I know right". He shifts slightly, "so illegal..."

Silence.

I discreetly glance at him again. "Would they be fun? My sleepovers with Scott were pretty legendary if I remember rightly".

He snorts. "Believe me, it would be a totally different experience to what you had with him".

Holy shit...

Speaking of which, the human cock block now comes over all happy and skipping - singing happy birthday to himself before squeezing in between us and declaring "you guys are the best!"
I roll my eyes and look around for Steve. The birthday boy needs his bedtime. "Whatcha dooooooing?" Scott asks us both.

"I think you've had enough for tonight, let's get you to bed". Chris says, any trace of what was between us just moments ago vanishing - and he gets up, managing to coax his brother into doing the same. "Ma! Gonna need some help here!" He calls to Lisa who is shaking her head in disapproval.

"Can Maya sleepover - pleeeeeeeease". Scott begs.

"You have Steve, I'm going home to my own bed tonight". I smirk as he falls into me to hug me. "I'll cut your hair tomorrow when you're sober enough".

Scott's face lights up. "Best friend ever!"

As I watch Chris, Lisa and Steve lead him away into the house, I see Chris look back at me - quickly I look away, feeling my cheeks flush slightly.

I feel like I'm sixteen or something all over again.