Chris Evans - Eyes Open

The party started over an hour ago, and I'm late...

Usually I'm on time for everything - but today traffic failed me and in the end I had to call Mom and tell her to go on over to Lisa's without me, and I'd just turn up when I could.

Lisa has been our neighbour since before I could remember, and being the same age as her youngest, Scott - I was usually at her house or he was at ours. We'd hang out constantly, his brother joining us sometimes but he'd never really utter a word to me. It was almost like I was invisible.
Then as life does, we went in different directions but still keeping in touch - and when he finally is able to get back to Boston, we still see one another if we can find the time. Usually he's wanting to take advantage of my hairdressing skills and so I'll happily do so if it means I get to catch up with him. He's busy these days, and I appreciate him not ditching me.

I wonder how invisible I'll be to Chris now? I think to myself as I pull into my parents driveway, noting all the cars that are lining Lisa's. it reminds me of all the Christmases and birthdays. My parents and I would always be invited - most of my time spent upstairs hanging with Scott or just being with the other kids there.

We're all grown adults now. All with jobs, responsibilities and kids.

Well, I'm not. Scott is somewhat settled with his boyfriend and here I am still somewhat playing the field - or slowly dying in it. My last relationship with six years wasted with a guy who ended up being a complete dick, and since then I've only so much as had a few dates. Still feeling somewhat guarded.

Getting out the car, I quickly let myself into my parents house to dump my bags and freshen up before I head next door. The laughter from the backyard along with the music tells me it's another successful party. No doubt there will be the usual games that always get competitive. One Easter egg hunt ended up with Chris pushing Scott into a bush before they could both get the same target egg. Even now I still find it hilarious, and it's a memory that's still talked about amongst us all.

"Maya!" Lisa now comes over and envelopes me in a hug as she spots me - my parents following and doing the same. "How are you? Oh, Shanna - could you go tell Scott that Maya is here?" she quickly pulls her daughter aside as we say hi.

"I'm good!" I tell her brightly, dad handing me a drink as he and mom hug me and ask I've put my bags in my room. Before I can answer, I'm attacked by Scott and grin. "Hi birthday boy, did you like my disgustingly cute BFF post on Instagram?"

He smirks as he pulls away. "I have so many embarrassing pictures for when yours comes around that I'm gonna have to do a video montage".

"So dramatic, here - have your present" I say as I pass it to him and then say hello to Steve. I don't notice the additional person stood next to him until I realise.

"Hey Maya". Chris just smiles, beer to hand.

I haven't seen this guy properly in years due to, well, who he is - and I have to admit that he got hotter with age. The fact he's talking to me is a good sign. As a teenager he was awkward as fuck with me, and I just put it down to the fact that he found me annoying to be around like older siblings do with younger ones. Sure he had his own friends, but sometimes he'd be with Scott and I.

"Hi". I say smoothly - because this isn't awkward at all. Do I hug him? Give him a damn handshake? I simply just smile and take a sip of the drink dad gave me while Scott thanks me for his present and conveniently slips away to go put it somewhere safe.

Thank fuck for Lisa, who steps in on not wanting any silence. "I don't think you two have seen one another for ages".

"Years Ma". Chris corrects her and then looks at me. I swear if my underwear could rip itself off then it would - but what troubles me more is that I'm thinking these thoughts when I damn well know that I shouldn't be. It's like a sin. "Probably late teens?"

"Probably". I nod in agreement. "Sooooo, what is it you do for a job again?"

He smirks. "Very funny, I should be asking you that".

Are we actually talking right now? Having an actual conversation? This needs to go down in the history books.

"Hairdresser, nothing magical" I shrug it off. Yeah - not compared to being a movie star or anything.

"The best one though". Scott joins us again and puts his arm around me. "Oh, and I was hoping to once again get a freshen up if that's ok?"

I roll my eyes at this. "As it's your birthday I can't exactly say no can I?"

"Say no? To me? Never!" He jokes and then is pulled into another conversation, leaving me and the parents as well as Chris alone again. that's what I think until Lisa not so subtly asks my parents to help her with the rest of the food.

"If I didn't know better, I'd say they deliberately left us to talk to one another"

"You're probably right, but I don't mind if you don't?" He turns to me. "I mean, I know we've never really been close, not the level you and Scott are - but that was when we were kids. Would be nice to hear about what you've been doing".

I laugh lightly. "Honestly, it's not as interesting compared to you and Scott".

"Married or anything?"

"Why? You asking?" I joke and then realise that I sound just as much of a loser as I did back in my teen years. "Sorry, and no - not married, engaged, no kids. Nothing. Last guy was an ass who wasted my time and since that?" I shake my head. "I've just found it a little hard I guess. I'm starting to think about giving up on it - who knows? I might have an easier life...single". Now I trail off at the thought.

He winces. "Ouch, sorry"

I shrug it off. "I'm not - anyway you've no need to worry because I won't ask about your love life, considering everyone wants to make it their business to know who you're dating and stuff. That must get annoying".

"Comes with the job, but yeah - sometimes it can be a fucking nightmare, especially when you try to be as private as you can and they still manage to find something". He admits. "I tend to tell Ma not to take any notice but for her? It can be hard not to even after all this time".

I wanna tell him I know how it feels, but I really don't, because it does indeed sound like a complete shitshow. But his world is a far cry from mine, even though currently it doesn't seem that way.

"Maya, take some pictures with me?" Scott comes crashing in, disrupting the conversation and not looking sorry about it.

"Sure, be there in a minute". I tell him, and he goes back over to Steve to wait for me. "Well...erm...it's good to see you". Aaaaaaand we're back to awkwardness again. "Maybe we can catch up later?"

"I'll hold you to that"

The look he's giving me from over the rim of his bottle now makes my tummy flip, and I mentally shake myself back to reality. He's not interested. Why would he be? He's never bothered with you before. He probably still thinks you're that same annoying kid he didn't want to be around. Just older.

I need to shut my brain up.

"That a promise?" I find myself asking.

His eyes meet mine. "Guess we'll just have to find out".