An Explanation (request)

Request from Tannerh012. Raylan and Amaya, Diego's parents, and Tackle are my ocs.

"I have so many questions. How did you both survive the humans?" Diego asked them confused. Shira was next to him with Tackle snuggled in her arms as he listened.

Raylan let out a heavy sigh, lying down next to his mate Amaya. "I saw what happened to you both. I remember seeing the hunters corner you dad. How one threw a spear at mom as she ran and she slipped near an edge and fell. How the humans and their dogs hurt you while you tried fighting them back. How I tried to reach you but we were outnumbered and I had no choice but to retreat" Diego reminded them both as he glanced down sadden, his ears low, feeling guilt that he couldn't do anything to help them. If he knew they were both alive, he would have come for them.

"Diego" his mother's gentle voice came and he glanced back at his parents. They both knew that their son must have carried guilt for their 'deaths'. But they also feel guilty that they didn't come back to him.

"Don't think this was your fault. You did what you could. Our pack was badly outnumbered. We thought we could take them on and we wound up paying a price for our mistake" she explained to him and Raylan frowned in irritation at hearing that.

"Correction. Soto thought we could take them on" he pointed out to her. Diego remembered that Soto and his dad never got along nor saw eye to eye. There was always disagreements between them and he remembered that his dad told him that fighting back against the hunters was a bad idea but Soto didn't listen and they wound up losing half of the pack.

"Yeah. I remembered you argued with Soto about it. I guess you had a point" Diego told him, seeing how his dad was right at that time. "Look what you saw happen to me and your mother did happen. But you didn't see how the fight ended with me" Raylan told him. "How did you both survive the hunters?" Shira asked curiously.

"When the hunters and their dogs had me cornered, I fought back at them. But the more I got injured, the more I realized that I was not going to win this fight. I thought I was done for. Until Amaya came to my rescue" he explained, turning to his mate with a warm and grateful smile. Amaya smiled at him, just glad to have her mate alive and she nuzzled his face, gently growling.

"Amaya manage to survive and jumped on one of the hunters from behind. By distracting them, it gave me and her a chance to get away and escape. However, once we found somewhere safe to rest, that's when I noticed something not right with her right leg. I noticed it bleeding alot and when I took a look, it was just limping" he explained grimly at the last part, his face sadden as he remembered it.

"When one of the hunters threw a spear at me, it got my leg. In a panic frenzy, I slipped and fell near some rocks which made it worse and the spear got deeper. I manage to remove the spear but I just didn't feel my right foot. At first, we didn't know what to do" she explained, glancing at her right leg with part of it gone.

"What did you both do?" Tackle asked curious yet afraid to know. Raylan stared at his grandson, not sure if he should hear this kind of thing. His son and daughter in law also wanted to know what happen. "She had trouble walking since she dragged it. And since she felt nothing, we made the difficult decision to remove it. I removed it" he said it, the last part hesitantly. Diego looked at his dad wide eye, not expecting that. He knew how much his parents loved eachother. Raylan was protective of Amaya and wouldn't let anyone hurt her. Even an insult about her is enough to get him defensive.

Shira's eyes widen in shock to hear that and Tackle too. He couldn't imagine something like that to happen. "I removed it with my claws. I asked her if she wanted this. Thankfully, we found she walked fine with three legs but I wished it didn't have to come to that point" he said sadly, wishing that he didn't have to do this to his beloved mate.

Amaya gently nudged his face, smiling at him assuringly. "Raylan. I wanted this. I wanted this choice and I wanted you to do it. I was not gonna trust anyone except you Ray and you know it. Beside, if we left it, it would slow me down so you helped me" she explained to him, nuzzling his face to comfort him. Raylan quietly chuckled at her, glad to have her always supporting and comforting him.

Tackle got out of his mom's paws and walked up to his grandparents, his eyes on his grandmother's missing foot. The story of how she lost it reminded him of how he lost his sabertooth. "You're just like me grandma. Look?" He told her as his paw touched the spot where his left sabertooth should be. Amaya was surprised when she noticed that and her mate. She wondered how this happened to him. But she smiled gently at him, leaning her face down to his. "Yes. We are quite alike aren't we?" She said to him warmly, licking his forehead.

"Since she was injured, I stayed with her to make sure she recovered. And I knew Soto was not going to allow an injured saber back on the pack. My greatest worry was that he would kill her. I couldn't let that happen. So once she was able to walk again, we left and found our way here which is much better. But one thing Amaya and I did regret was not telling you we were ok. We're sorry Diego" Raylan finished explaining as both him and his mate looked at their son with guilt expressions.

Diego let out a breath, having to progress all that happened to his parents. He realized that maybe if he tried looking for them, they would've been together sooner. But right now he was glad to know they were alive. That he still had them in his lives.

"That's a lot to take in. But I'm just glad that you're both still here with me. And that you get to meet my family" he told them relieved and gladly. His parents smiled back at him, glad to be with their son again while also looking forward to being part of the family he created.