chapter 70

Chapter 70

Song Areum

Hot tea and milk after a whole day of seeing outpatients tasted like success and  great relief all at once

Hot tea and milk after a whole day of seeing outpatients tasted like success and great relief all at once. She understood that a medical career demands a sacrifice, oftentimes it could be highly emotional and draining that it destroys one's emotional and mental stability upon encountering patients that couldn't be saved. Being a doctor was time-consuming, there were many times when Areum just wants to go home, recharge and take good care of her fiancée or visit her parents with a meal she learned making with Jungkook. There were many things she wanted to do for herself but couldn't, because most of the time, the job came first before her life. Then again, there were incredible highs in saving lives—that itself was real success and genuine relief.

Her short break was cut even shorter when the nurse informed her that Professor Kim summoned her to his office. She quickly set aside her tea and immediately made her way to her mentor. He hasn't been very welcoming to her these days and Seung Jae wasn't even acknowledging her at all—who knows what those two have been deciding her future to be. It made her wonder, if she didn't owe Professor Kim her career and Seung Jae the emotional support, would defying them be any easier? Perhaps.

As she knocked on her mentor's door and was ushered inside by his secretary, a forced smile immediately formed on her face to hide the exhaustion she'd earned from working four days straight, showers and quick meals once in a while were her only break from working. She needed sleep, meals that her mother made, wise words from her father that motivated her and she missed her fiancée—she needed Jungkook.

"Ah, Doctor Song is just getting back from seeing her outpatients." Professor Kim greeted her with a bright smile for the first time in a while.

A black-haired woman sat on one of the receiving couches and turned to face Areum. Her face was familiar and it took awhile before Areum remembered what her name was.

"Doctor Farah Mahjid, right?" She eventually greeted the woman and offered a hand to shake which was denied.

She recognized the woman from the Convention in Canada, as far as she remembered, Doctor Mahjid was an outstanding Neurologist in India.

The woman awkwardly glanced at Areum's hand, "Sorry, I don't shake hands. I'm germaphobic,"

Areum squinted her eyes but retrieved her hands anyway before sitting on the other side of the couch so she sat right across Doctor Mahjid.

"Anyway, I've been told you both have met in the Neuro-Convention in Canada," Professor Kim cuts off. "I must say, your Hangul is outstanding, Doctor Mahjid."

The Doctor smiled timidly before showing off her Hangul by responding in Korean. "I've learned three languages from a young age,"

"Impressive. Doctor Song here speaks five languages respectively too. She's one of my brightest students, not to mention a gem inside the Operating Room. I'm quite proud of her," he sounded like he meant the last sentence but Areum gave him an inquisitive look, baffled as to why he was being nice to her all of a sudden.