chapter 31

CHAPTER 31

Song Areum

"Areum, you're going to stir the whole South Korea with this

"Areum, you're going to stir the whole South Korea with this." he spoke through the phone with his deep American accent, his voice was concerned and hesitant. "What's the rush? You need to think this through."

"I'm sorry, have I ever given you the impression that I cared one bit about this nation?" she kept her phone close to her ear as she read through the information on her computer. "I want this to be over as much as you do."

She heard him sigh which made her roll her eyes impatiently, "Look. I have the files you lost, and you have the power to give me what I want. You can take down the whole country if you want for all I care,"

"That was not our plan. We were only targeting International Criminals crossing the borders. Your country, your mess."

Areum closed her laptop shut and stood up from the bed before making her way towards the big window in Jungkook's bedroom.

"I don't plan to blast South Korea either. The country can take care of its own mess. My only concern is the spotlight—how much I resent it." Areum spoke her thoughts quietly as if the other man on the phone was her dirty little secret.

"Fine. I'll do what I can to expedite the arrest of sex-trafficking from South Korea to America, but you need to stop rummaging through the Gold Files. I can't protect you from here," he reminded her.

"I don't need protection, Dacre." she said calmly.

He let out another impatient sigh. "I promised Luke I'd protect you and Jana."

Areum scoffed, "Well, you set Jana free. That was enough. You're not indebted to us or Luke anymore. Jana and I are happy now,"

"She's happy?"

"Yes, she is." Areum stated quietly.

She stared into the street lights and tall buildings downtown from their bedroom window and was reminded of the topic at hand, so she asked Dacre. "Do you know what's worst than death for some people?"

"I don't want to kn—"

"Humiliation." she cuts him off. "These days, it doesn't matter how big the crime is and who committed it. People simply want a sinner."

Areum turned away from the window and just as she was about to return on the bed, her eyes caught a tantalizing glare of Jana.

"I gotta go." she briefly spoke to Dacre before ending the call.

Jana stood in the middle of the room with her arms crossed over her busty chest as she eavesdropped on Areum's phone call—typical Jana Dejaeger, her favorite hobby was to lurk.