chapter 9

CHAPTER 9

S o n g  Areum

Vivid dreams often occur during postoperative sleep while the anesthesia starts wearing off but not completely

Vivid dreams often occur during postoperative sleep while the anesthesia starts wearing off but not completely. . . not entirely.

In most cases, the Anesthesia would have worked just fine and they'd stay unconscious, free from pain as they rest until the after-pain of incisions and stitches settled down and the body starts to recuperate ever so slowly from anesthesia and operation itself.

But for some people, they dream about things they desperately want and long for. . . perhaps that was true or maybe it was just the drugs that were playing tricks in her head. Areum dreamt about Luke while she was in the Operating table. He was smiling and laughing, he was alive and she could almost touch him.

In her dreams, nothing hurt. It was only a minor surgery but she didn't want to wake up from it. The place where Luke is, was too quiet, too peaceful.

By the time she'd woken up—barely, her eyes half opened as she saw her mother by her side, reading the manuscript she had yet to publish.

On the couch by the window of the VIP room, there was Da Reum on his laptop, possibly studying for his upcoming exams at his job. It was another set of dream exactly how she imagined.

On her right side, her hand felt warm and steady. The drip was on her left hand but the right one was fixed in place as if someone had been holding it for awhile.

She tried blinking, her eyes still heavy from the anesthesia and morphine.

Jungkook held her right hand, he smiled as he noticed she was starting to be aware. He then slowly lifted her hand and left soft butterfly kisses at the back of it like he longed for her kisses too. His breath was warm and her nostrils irked from the scent of alcohol and disinfectant humidifier on her bed side. Areum had dreamt of Jungkook since she was a kid and it was only now she could touch him. It was only now he held her as if he craved her too.

He told her to rest some more and so she did. Her eyes finally settled close, Jungkook being the last person she'd seen.

Areum wondered what the real Jungkook was doing that night. He was probably out with Jimin and Taehyung in the real world, wasn't he?

The one in her dreams looked miserable and sad.

Areum found the sound of the monitor of her vitals was displeasing in the ears like an alarm clock in the morning—everything around her was loud and close.

She opened her eyes slowly and was met with the plain cream shade ceiling with dimmed lights as fancy as those in hotel suites.

Her right hand felt heavy and warm still, so she slowly turned to her side. Jungkook had his head slightly tilted to the side as he tried to fight off his slumber, his hands clasped hers. She was still dreaming.