chapter 62

CHAPTER 62

Song Areum

If there was one person who very well knew the creative and lyrical side of Areum, it was Mr

If there was one person who very well knew the creative and lyrical side of Areum, it was Mr. Kim. He knew what ticks her off, what makes her unmotivated or inspired—he knew which buttons to push to get her moving. When she was younger, part of her training was to submit a recording progress of her freestyle piano composition every day because her parents believed in that way of honing her skills in the field of Music. It worked until she got tired  and left.

Mr. Kim made sure that Music and Dance was the top priority of her daily life back then. She was taught to write and compose even if she didn't feel like it. They said she was excellent at it—but it didn't mean she loved it to the bones.

Looking back now, she knew she was only quick and great then because there wasn't a second she never thought about and studied music. She breathed arts and music, making it as easy as breathing but now, she cuts through someone's delicate skull with a drill and cut their brains with a scalpel—that's what's normal for her now. She now breathed medicine and she loved it more than breathing.

"Good work," Mr. Kim stated as she finished playing a 2 minute-long freestyle song on the piano.

"That's the most decent one I did in a whole week." she complained.

Mr. Kim happened to be back in town for a few months and somehow ended up forcing Areum to resort to their old tactics in bringing out the creative side she once had. He used to never let her stand up from the Piano bench until she finished a whole piece without stopping or repeating. Notes and tones used to come naturally in her head all the way through her fingers as soon as she sat in front of the piano, but now everything was just a blank.

"I know." Mr. Kim stated with an empty expression. "And it's the worse I've heard you play. Keep practicing,"

Of course he would know. He also spent half of his life training her to be the best—to always come up with only the best things.

"That was awful, Song Areum." he added.

She felt her eyes widened and squinted as her mouth fell slightly agape in surprise. He never once criticized her works negatively, no matter how many times he made her redo her early compositions when she was younger. Mr. Kim never addressed and saw her works as displeasing and awful. Perhaps because now, she really had became grotesque in Music.

"Do not leave that seat until you come up with something better." he told her. "Your father would be ashamed and disappointed if he heard you played that ominous piece you just did."

And then he left, casually and ever so calmly as if he didn't just crush someone else's dreams—well technically he didn't but if he were to say something like that to a trainee, it would very much be painful and unnecessary.