chapter 48

CHAPTER 48

Jeon Jungkook

"Jungkook-ssi?" the staff came from the backstage to the dressing room

"Jungkook-ssi?" the staff came from the backstage to the dressing room. "It's your turn."

The members had been rehearsing the setlist all day and it was his turn to practice his stage. He gave the staff a kind smile before leaving his phone on the table to perform.

Areum still hasn't answered his calls. She would respond to his messages though—sometimes. She's probably busy doing surgeries and doing rounds, after all she said she had a lot to catch up on and that was how they've always been anyway, they do things separately and excel in it only because they had each other at the end of the day. She has became his strength.

Jungkook would fly again for the concert, he'd be going around over the crowd singing on a zipline because that was the closest distance he could be with their fans. If he could get closer, he would. In fact, he wished he could tell the fans all about the happiness he has off-stage without any of them getting hurt. It was all too conflicting—how the love of his life was also someone else's pain.

"Ready?" the staff asked him as he got onto his stunt.

He nodded and returned a small smile before he could no longer feel the ground against his feet. Jungkook let out a sigh and closed his eyes before engaging with the music in his earpiece. When he gets down, Areum would have answered his messages and she'd eventually tell him to call. . . She would do that, wouldn't she?

Jungkook went straight back to the dressing room after his rehearsals, it was hot in Los Angeles and he was sweating like a pig. No wonder, Areum hated the weather there.

"I thought I saw some red-head goddess," Jimin stated as he sat down close to Jana who just came from her flight.

"Get the fuck outta here," Yoongi calmly warned Jimin as he munched on the snacks his girlfriend bought.

Odd. Areum used to be the one bringing them snacks, and the one Jimin tries to flirt with.

Jana chuckled before her eyes fell onto Jungkook. She lost the joy on her face but sat up straight confidently anyway.

"Areum is well." she simply stated with a delicate smile as if she knew Jungkook was dying to hear from his fiancée.

He nodded, a smile forming his lips. Areum might not be answering him but at least she was well.

"When is she coming to visit?" Namjoon innocently asked both Jana and Jungkook as he flopped down on the couch.

"Boys, be ready in five for the encore rehearsal," their manager reminded them.

Neither Jana nor Jungkook was able to answer Namjoon.

Once the rehearsals were done, the members were ushered to their rides. Jungkook shared one with Jimin as usual and their ride was not even that long to the hotel. For some reason, Jungkook felt more exhausted than any other days of their rehearsals. He went straight to his room, placed his bag inside the closet, closed the curtains before deciding to take his jacket off when someone rang his door.

He frowned, assuming it was Jimin or Taehyung.

Jungkook didn't even bother to check the intercom before opening the door.

He raised an eyebrow upon seeing who was in front of him. "Hey, Jana."

"Hello." she hesitantly greeted him. "I—um,"

She couldn't look at him and she used to always smile before him. Now, she looked scared and conflicted and that's when he realized she did not come bearing good news. He wanted to stop her and close the door on her but then Jana retrieved something on her purse and handed it to him.

A purple velvet box somehow ended up back on his palm.

"She wanted me to give it back to you." Jana murmured apologetically.

"I thought she was well?" he asked with a confused look.

Jana looked down and grasped her purse tighter. "Areum wanted me to tell you. . . you can't fix her back."