chapter 19

CHAPTER 19

Song Areum

There was once a time she'd forgotten what sadness felt like, how terrifying darkness was, how a gunshot to oblivion ruined her life once and how losing someone tore her apart

Was it wrong to feel safe when Jungkook was around? Was it a sin to treasure the good days with the man she loves and forget about the destructive reality they lived in?

Perhaps the repercussions of her obsession with safety and happiness were the hard evidence of the real world crushing through the walls she built to protect her fond memories with the man she loves.

The reality of it all was she could lose something or someone as much as she gained.

Now, Da Reum lay flat and painfully quiet on the hospital bed in one of the rooms in the ICU. Thick and thin tubes wired to him to monitor his vitals.

They had to intubate him in the ER prior and that was the best decision then. They would've lost him quickly before they even got to the OR if they denied him an intubation. However if something didn't go well with his injuries while a breathing tube is stuck on his throat, he might not be able to breathe by himself. It would've sent him wired to the machine forever. He'd be brain dead—but she mustn't think that way.

Not when Da Reum was completely unconscious and wasn't able to make light of his own situation and convince her strongly that everything was going to be fine. He was going to be fine.

Areum stayed in the ICU for the whole afternoon, keeping a close eye on Da Reum after her rounds in the morning. She wore a complete protective PPE so as to not compromise the sterile environment of the room where Da Reum was hooked into.

His face was slightly bashed on the left side, only his hands were free of deep wounds though he had three of his fingers broken. He was almost unnoticeable. Da Reum loved smiling so his face always looked bright and full of life. She'd do anything to see that face again because as he laid there unresponsive with unknown faith was killing her every second.

All the lead doctors claimed he was going to pull through. But she is a doctor herself, they say it even if they know there's a slim chance of it not being true. Nothing is sure in life. Doctors aren't God.

"Hey," Seung Jae walked in wearing a complete ICU attire as he went straight to check on Da Reum's vitals on the machine.

"Go home and rest," he told her. "Professor Kim insisted you catch up on some sleep. You've been working hard for the past months,"

"I can't leave Da Reum." she murmured, her eyes never left Da Reum's figure—hoping any second then, he'd open his eyes.

Seung Jae lets out a sigh. "Did your parents went home last night?"