chapter 39

CHAPTER 39

Song Areum

A month and a half of recovery went by fast

A month and a half of recovery went by fast. Being asleep for two weeks, her brain needed a lot of exercise and cognitive tests but her seizures haven't been an issue for a while. She was cooperating well on the therapy and laboratory tests regarding her health. The Hospital still hasn't given her the go-signal to work again because at the moment, she was their patient and Areum learned to accept that.

Being caged inside her family home was not as bad as she thought. She'd been planting and fixing their garden every day as a part of her daily schedule.

Daffodils. The place where Luke was in her head, it had a lot of daffodils. It meant rebirth and new beginnings. She found herself in the backyard, watering the flowers six inches apart which she planted and had been taking care of since she got out of the hospital. It was all growing fast, almost as quick as her recovery. Somehow, when she woke up, she knew it was her second chance at life, that was her new beginning. A chance to be a better person, a better daughter, better partner and the best doctor. That includes her, accepting treatment as a patient for now.

"Hey, you."

She turned around from the flowers and to the blue-green eyes that were so familiar to her sight.

The wind blew cold on her skin as she smiled at the tall man in front of her.

"Dacre," she greeted, placing down the watering can and proceeded to give him a hug. "When did you get back?"

A few days after the incident, he flew back to the US to finish his job on the arrest of the International Criminals from South Korea. He often called and checked up on Areum while he was overseas but the good thing was, it was all over and he came back to Seoul bearing that good news.

Officially, Areum has got nothing else to fear. Not even her past.

"This morning. I'm not staying long, I've got stuff to finish at work," he smiled warmly. "I just came to see how you're doing and to tell you that they'll be facing charges in both countries, so it'd be hard for them to get to you now. You're safe, Areum."

She gave him a soft smile, still lost in Luke's eyes—or Dacre's. He owned it now or at least for a while, it was only now she was acknowledging it.

"I know." she smiled. "Thank you. . . for everything,"

He gave her a small grin, not surprised that she already knew what he'd say even before he said it but then there was still agony looming in his eyes.

"I shouldn't have hid that file in Jana's favorite stuff. I thought it was safe there and it slipped my mind that I'd put it in one of her stuff. I shouldn't have involved you with any of it either,"