chapter 17

CHAPTER 17

Song Areum

The beeping sounds, the alarms, people's agony and hysteric complaints—all of which make the Emergency Room normal

Young interns and medical students were only halfway through their day but all of them were beat and confused on the sidelines. Everything was almost new to them, after all—the lectures and laboratory classes were far too different from real life chaos in the ER.

"It hurts so bad," the young 16 year old boy complained as he moaned in pain. "It hurts to breathe."

"Give him 4 of morphine," Areum calmly ordered the nurse.

The kid apparently fell hard from his roller blades by the playground, he was playing with her 8 year old sister when he lost balance and used his arm to catch his fall.

He's got multiple scrapes on his cheek and forehead, a cut on his elbow and knees and his chest hurts. His vitals were stable and Areum checked if he was breathing normally which he was and there was no internal bleeding—his body was just in shock.

"Let's get a full body x-ray," she motioned for the other interns to prepare accordingly. "And an MRI to be sure."

Ever since they lost a young patient from aneurysm, she made sure to run thorough tests on everyone she meets inside the ER.

"Wait, a full—what's wrong with him? Is he hurt that badly?" the mother asked overly concerned of his child. "And what kind of doctor would be as calm as you? He doesn't need surgery, does he?"

One thing she learned in the ER, stay calm even if it was a matter of life and death. A calm mind worked faster.

"He's got a bruise on his left hip bone but we'll do an x-ray to make sure everything's in place," she explained.

"Can you touch your chin to your chest?" Areum turns to the patient, guiding his head slowly. "There you go, good job."

"The morphine is working," he slightly giggled childishly—like he had forgotten his injuries already.

Areum glanced up to the mother who burried her face onto her palms while the little 8 year old girl hid at the end of the bed, she was biting her nails as she watched her brother lay on the hospital bed—guilt washed over her face.

The nurses handed some gauze and sterile materials to clean the boy's wound as he stopped writhing in pain. He was giggling earlier and now he had an innocent and blank expression on his face.

Areum finished up cleaning his wounds, just as the interns informed her that the x-ray room was ready and they rolled him in on his bed.

"You can wait in the waiting room, we'll get back to you as soon as we get his results." she informed the mother.