C186 - Xylan & Rain

When Xavier claimed that none of us were vampires, I froze in my position entirely. I'd found it weird how I could go long without nutrition and how we could see our own reflection and so on. However, I'd never questioned the species surrounding me. Eventually, I turned to meet Xavier's calm eyes. "Then, what are we?" I frowned, hearing an unintentional hint of concern through my question. "We've descended from vampires; we're a mutated species," he answered briefly. My eyebrow twitched as I waited for him to elaborate, which he did not. Come to think of it, I'd never heard about a vampire having a weakening person? Also, how come so many keep ageing until they reach a certain age? I wanted to question Xavier about it, but ultimately, I chose not to.

-Vera's point of view-

Alex's eyes met mine in an instant when we heard heavy footsteps approaching us. We hadn't found the note yet, and it didn't seem like we were getting close either. In a quick movement, he closed the opened drawer and stepped away from the commode just as the door flung open. "Xylan knows, he's on his way," Rain blurted out. "We should leave, Alex," I said, attempting to keep my voice low. "And let him get the note? I don't think so," he scoffed softly, opening the drawer once again. This time he didn't care to be cautious as he threw stuff out of drawers in a desperate search for evidence against Xylan. "Alex, stop!" Rain said, daring to raise her voice against Alex for the first time. He stopped immediately, though he didn't turn to look at her. "Xylan will accuse you of trespassing and send you right to England without Valerie. Don't you see that he set Jace and Xavier as an example? You have to listen to me, Alex, for the sake of everyone," she pleaded. "We need the note more than anything right now," Alex pointed out. Approaching Alex, she grabbed his hand to remove his bracelet before pointing to the door. "I know, let me take care of that."

I felt like a fly on the wall watching Rain and Alex until Alex looked over at me for advice. I'd always been able to answer him at once when initiated, but for some reason, I remained quiet. As though stepping into the role of an actual fly, I kept watching instead of partaking in their discussion. "Fine, it seems we've somehow left Vera speechless. I'll trust you, Rain," Alex finally decided.

-Valerie's point of view-

As I opened the door to leave Xavier's room, I saw Alex and Vera, who both looked considerably stressed. "We might have messed up," Alex said honestly. "How come?" I asked, letting Vera pass me to go inside. "By relying on Rain solely. I have a bad feeling letting her be alone with Xylan and his guards." Leaning against the doorframe, I spent a moment to think before answering. "I uh," I paused, "I think she'll manage just fine finding that note." "I don't care whether she finds it or not, I'll take down Xylan one way or another anyway. I don't know how angry is he is, and that's what worries me. We have no guarantees what'll happen," he explained.