C44 - Spell it backwards

I wanted to walk away from Dane, he started sounding as crazy as Alex now, and the fact that he spoke so seriously about it all was freaking me out.

"I need the key back," I said determinedly, stretching out my hand. "Someone messaged you," he said, ignoring what I said. "My phone's on vibration, how did you know?"I frowned. "Who was it?" he asked, ignoring me once again. I brought up my phone, seeing a message from Alex.

"Hey, you've been gone for hours. Are you okay?" said message number one. Followed by that one came one more: "Valerie, please answer me." Then came the last message he'd sent, which he sent one minute ago: "Where are you at? You're not where you said you would be, I'm here."

I was about to answer his texts when Dane poked my arm gently. "What?"I asked, sounding more irritated than intended. "Who's here? You need to tell me who your boyfriend is," he said quickly, his voice almost trembling. "You said they were all alike, why should it matter?" I questioned.

Dane kept shut, but his body language said plently. He was anxious as if he was predicting that something bad was about to happen. "I think Alex will be here soon since I didn't answer him before now," I said. "You're dating Alex?" he stuttered, raising his voice drastically. "You know Alex?" I asked curiously. "Unfortunately." "Hey, he's not that bad." "Let me guess, he has told you to live your life several times, hasn't he?" he asked. "How did you know?" I half-whispered, my eyes widening. "Spell it backwards, Valerie. Spell the word live backwards," he answered, lowering his voice. "E-v-i-l," I mumbled to myself. "Valerie?"Alex suddenly called out. I turned in the direction his voice came from, seeing him running down towards me. When I turned back, Dane was gone.