C95 - Don't Bite

The adrenaline rushed through me, creating a false hope that I could somehow escape from this unfortunate situation. I breathed heavily, feeling someone's strong grip on each of my arms. My failed attempt at fighting back intensified the strength of the grip around my wrists, and I knew by now that it would leave marks. Suddenly a warm breath hit my face, whispering in a warning tone: "You're in the wrong place, Valerie." I looked up, seeing Alex hovering over me. "Alex?" I stuttered. "I get that you're curious, but this is a step too far," he answered angrily. I nodded, agreeing with whatever he was saying right now. He eventually let go of my arms and dragged me up from Jace's bed. "I have full authority over what happens in this castle, except up here," he told me, still sounding angered. "I understand," I stammered. I was about to apologize, but he was quick to muffle my speaking with his hand. He narrowed his eyebrows, listening to something I couldn't hear myself. "He's coming," he said stressfully.

Rushed out from the room, Alex took me with him to his main room up here. Apparently, Jace was heading to his room after a feeling of suspiciousness. It shocked me how Jace could sense that something was wrong, considering the fact that I was as quiet as I possibly could be. "You keep acting impulsively, and not to say the least, recklessly," Alex said, shaking his head at me. "Perhaps that's what it takes to get your proper attention," I answered. "Say that again?" he scoffed, crossing his arms. "I'm going crazy in here with all these secrets and dangerous vampires dying to taste my fucking blood, okay?" I said, scoffing back at him. "You have to respect the time that it takes to handle a situation like the one we're in. Trust me, if I were to tell you everything right now... you'd go mental for real," he said. "Alright, but you can't leave me with nothing anymore. The time I spend alone I keep dwelling on everything and it does nothing good for either of us," I answered.

Alex agreed that I shouldn't spend so much time alone anymore, but his solution wasn't what I wished for. Each time he has to do something, I have to stay with either Jace, Xavier or Zane... "This isn't what I meant by-" I started. "Too bad," he shrugged his shoulders. "Can't I just go with you?" I asked with hope. He shook his head immediately, refusing to accept. Rudely interrupting my abrupt thinking session, Jace entered all of a sudden. His eyes expanded the second he saw me standing alongside Alex. "Have you lost your mind? What the hell is she doing here?" Jace asked. Alex cast a glance at me, letting me know he was lying to my advantage. "She was very curious to see my room," Alex lied. Jace let out loud scoffs, not believing Alex's sudden urge to make stupid decisions. However, Alex wasn't the one who felt a sudden urge to make stupid decisions, I was.

While Jace and Alex took their time to argue about my presence up here, I studied Alex's room. You could easily separate their rooms in terms of colour choices and simply by how it was put together and decorated. Alex's room was dominated by black, some brown, and a few different shades of grey. The description of the colours makes the room sound casual and basic, but it is, in fact, not. He had some silver decorations like Jace, but they were shaped differently. The green plants in his room stood out with their pop of colour in this neutral coloured room of his. I was laying on his bed, waiting for them to finish their never-ending argument by Alex's door.

"Xavier never comes up here, Alex, never," Jace pointed out. What has Xavier got to do with this? "You're giving her a dangerously big amount of freedom to divulge whatever secret she may desire," Jace warned. "I know how you handled things with Xavier and I will never do that to Valerie. No matter how much you may look at me as a failure, I don't care. You lost your spot, deal with it," Alex growled back. I could see by the look on Jace's face that he did not expect Alex to snap back, and it made me happy somehow. I enjoyed seeing Alex being able to defend himself against Jace. I could see Jace's lips pursing in anger, his look moving to me. He looked back at Alex, making eye contact before leaving us.

I asked Alex why Jace brought up Xavier, but he wouldn't answer, of course. "This is getting old," I said, getting up from the bed. I blocked his way, forcing him to stop walking. He looked up, bit his lip and heightened his head slightly. "I want to be angry with you, but you look really hot standing like that," I blurted out. "What?" he narrowed his eyebrows, trying to hold a straight face. "I'm tired of arguing," I shrugged my shoulders. He couldn't keep back his small smile anymore, and oh my how I appreciated seeing his smile now. "Then let us not argue," he said, moving closer. "But for how long?" I lowered my voice, looking up at him. "For now," he answered, tilting my head to the side. The bite mark that Zane had made was now in Alex's view, allowing him to study it further. Gradually, his face moved closer to my neck, causing my heartbeat to quicken. Unwanted images of him forcefully biting my neck rushed through my mind, making me feel beyond unwell and frightened. With ease, I felt a soft, damp touch against the bite mark, meaning it wasn't his fingers as I initially thought. By now, Alex stood in the perfect position to rip open my throat with his teeth and let the blood flow, but instead, he placed his hand over my racing heart, shaking his head slightly. "Oh, love, I would never bite you."