C107 - Broken deal

Keeping up with Jace was impossible, therefore I entered Alex's room considerably later than he did. Jace had moved Alex to the bed by the time I got there. I froze in the doorframe when seeing Alex this pale and motionless, this lifeless... Never before had I seen him pass out, and I certainly didn't expect his complexion to become this fair. "What's going on?" I stammered. Jace sighed loudly, turning in my direction. "Jace?" I swallowed oddly. He moved closer without saying anything, but he looked at me with a facial expression devoid of all emotions. His lips parted, saying the sentence I feared to hear: "This will hurt you more than me." I automatically recognized his strange reformulation of the saying, but I couldn't comment it because by now, I was stricken into silence. The sharp nails of his were placed against the skin on my left shoulder, grasping over the surface of my shoulder until an intense pain rushed through it. I could feel the warmth of my own blood start running down from the cut he'd made and onto his finger, reminding me just how bad it tastes. "Xavier, get her out of here," he commanded suddenly. I jumped at his loud voice, causing him to snicker at me.

As assumed, Xavier brought me out of the room relatively quick after Jace had asked him to. He was leaning against the wall with his arms crossed and his head down. I wasn't sure whether I should say something or not, considering the fact that he was seemingly in a bad mood. 

Xavier suddenly cleared his throat, catching my attention immediately. "He has quite some secrets, hasn't he," Xavier said, still looking downwards. "Alex? Yeah, I guess he does," I nodded. "So did Jace." I unintentionally frowned, waiting for him to continue whatever he was getting at. "You're lucky Alex cares for you the way he does," Xavier said, shaking his head slightly. "What do you mean by that?" I questioned. 

He spent some time thinking of an answer as he looked at me, his face looking emotionless. "You honestly don't believe Jace welcomed me to his life with hugs and kindness, do you?" he scoffed. "I mean, you said earlier that you guys made it. And you seem like you're really into each other," I shrugged my shoulders. "So do you and Alex, but that doesn't guarantee that you appreciate all he has done, now does it?" he raised an eyebrow. "I know Jace was bad to you but was he really that bad?" I asked curiously. "Let's just say, the way Jace treats you is the mildest he ever treated me. At least to begin with," he answered. "Then why are you guys a couple? Are you in a toxic relationship?" I frowned. "Either I have Stockholm syndrome or I'm just in love with an evil, wicked vampire. Crazy thing is, I think the answer is the second option." "I don't see how-" I started. "Before you judge me, remember you are the same."

Xavier was right, I am in love with an evil vampire with a wicked mind. Him saying that out loud really put everything in a new perspective. It sounded crazy to me what he said about loving the malevolent Jace, but once he made me realize I was the exact same... I suddenly understood him. It hasn't been easy to accept it, but once you're in love with someone it somehow blinds you from things you'd normally be running from.

Jace returned after ages. "It was Nikkie's blood making him sick," he informed us. "Is he okay? Will he wake up? Is he going to remember that?" I blurted out. "You'll have to see for yourself," Jace answered, opening the door to Alex's room.

When stepping carefully into Alex's room, I saw him laying in the exact same position. His skin was as good as white by now, intensifying the visibility of his veins. Blue and purple lines were running down several places, and I quickly realized it was my some of my blood running in those veins. I felt a quick rush of shivers running down my spine, but I quickly remembered that what had been done was decisive for his life.

His eyes were confusing me, I couldn't quite figure out whether they were opened or closed. I moved closer, focusing on his face this time. The colour of his lips stood out from the rest of his pale face, looking darker than usual. I carefully placed my hand against his chin, feeling the icy cold skin of his spread to the backside of my hand. His eyelids moved, allowing him to open his eyes. His sclera had gone red in both eyes, making him look extremely tired. It wasn't hard to tell he was struggling to keep them open, they continuously flickered. "You can close your eyes," I assured him.

I left Alex alone to rest, and during that time I let Jace explain to me what had happened. 

"Vampires aren't meant to feed on the blood of other weakening people than their own. If Alex remembers anything when he fully wakes up, he'll know what Nikkie is. In addition, he'll crave your blood again so if I were you, I'd keep my distance from him for a while. Now that he doesn't have full control over the whole Alex/Alexander thing he is less predictable when it comes to stuff like these," Jace said, fiddling with something in Xavier's room. 

It took me some time to remember the whole Zane situation and how it resembled this. "But Zane fed on me, he didn't react that way?" I pointed out. "Oh, he did. That's how I knew it was him who'd done it. As Alex said, he hasn't been a vampire for long. However, I did warn him not to feed on you. I guess he just doesn't care what I or anyone else say. He pretty much hates everyone," he answered, turning to me. "Like you then," I muttered. "Excuse me?" he cleared his throat. "You don't really care about anyone as I've understood," I shrugged my shoulders. He wet his lips with his tongue, leaning his arms against the table behind him. 

"You spoke with Xavier, I presume. You see, he's kinda bitter that I found out about his plan and all. He's got plans of his own, I know that. And I admire his courage, but he doesn't see the consequences of them. I simply want to keep him from making the same mistakes other weakening people have made," he answered. Wow, I'm surprised he didn't attack me or try to intimidate me after my offensive comment. "So you do actually care for Xavier?" I raised my eyebrows. He parted his lips to speak but stopped himself twice before giving into what he truly wanted to say. "Yes, I do. Tell someone I said that and I'll torture you till you can't speak," he said, leaving the room. Yup, there came the answer I was expecting.

As I was waiting for Alex to wake up, I instead fell asleep beside him and slept for hours without waking up. I didn't wake up until I felt his hand on my neck. "I wasn't meant to fall asleep," I muttered. "Valerie," he coughed. I looked up, seeing him looking both nauseous and almost...frightened? "What's wrong?" I asked worriedly. He looked down, breathing slightly heavier. "Alex?" I frowned. "Xavier and you shouldn't have trusted Dane," he said, getting out of the bed. "What are you talking about?" I asked, getting up as well. "The message that Jace received from Zane's phone was from Hayden, not Zane. I read your messages, Valerie, as you know. I know that you made a deal with Dane, Xavier did as well, from pure desperateness. And now we don't have Adeline, but they have Zane."