C126 - Worsening

-Rain's point of view-

"You need to think things over before you mess up badly!" I argued, grabbing Jace's arm. He scoffed loudly before answering, and knowing him, he was easily triggered. "Valerie is possibly dying, and I have no idea where our fucking future leader is. I understand your worries regarding my state of mind right now, but I have to act impulsively before I find him dead," he answered aggressively. "And leaving Valerie was one of those impulse choices, huh? Well, that sure is damn risky of you if you're trying to save Alex, Jayden." His face tensed, in fact, his whole body did. I knew I had crossed a line, but it was important to make him angry as a way of helping him of withstanding any possible manipulations. He stepped closer, grabbed my jaw as he looked down at me with his usual warning look. This was the Jace I was used to, not the one he became once Xavier joined us. "Never call me that again, or I swear I'll make you regret it, Rain."

Jace's anger was only becoming worse, and it made me question him a lot. I mean, why would he leave Alex's weakening person alone in a room during a situation like this? If she dies, she'll drag Alex with her, and Jace is well aware of that. As predicted, my dubious thoughts were quickly interrupted as Jace suddenly realized that he was wrong. "You know what, you're right. It's too risky leaving Valerie by herself. You should go get her and get a car as quickly as possible. I'll look for Alex," Jace suddenly said. "I'll get the girls to take Valerie, it'll work more efficiently if I stay around."

-Jace's point of view-

Rain was challenging my limits, but that's how she's always been. I guess that's why I fell for her in the first place, although it ended rather bitterly. She was in even better shape now, and her morals were stronger than before as it seemed. However, she seemed more careful in battles against others now as though something had softened her. It was almost like she was afraid of being hurt, which she has never been before...?

-Valerie's point of view-

I was being treated as if I was completely unconscious, which I wasn't, yet. Even though my basic moving functions were numbed, my voice weak, my sight blurred, and my hearing was mostly inaudible, I was still present and somewhat capable of figuring out what was going on. There were females trying to help me it seemed like, but I wasn't able to detect who they were even though their voices sounded familiar. "Can you-" one started. I cleared my throat, my head moving in her direction as I desperately tried to communicate. "Yeah, I doubt she can even hear us," another one said. As her words escaped her mouth, my hope decreased, making me feel nothing but useless. 

My eyes closed, but I hadn't passed out like the girls probably thought. I felt the pressure at the end of my throat as I tried getting my voice to function again. I was able to mutter the first letter of Alex's name, but no one seemed to have noticed my failed endeavour of speaking.

When I finally opened my eyes, I could see a bit clearer, thankfully. The girls were discussing something, but their voices were completely inaudible this time. None of them was unharmed, and none calm. The blurred sight of blood running from one's leg didn't make me feel sick like it had before, it only felt real. For a brief moment, everything felt real, and it was, in fact, real. I was aware that my life was currently at stake, but I wasn't able to take it in properly. For some reason, it was like my mind was paused, protecting me from losing it completely.

Even though I was in such bad shape, I could still hear the high-pitched screams and feel the dangerous tension that was building up ridiculously fast. The outrageous fighting had gone on for long, too long. Jace and Rain hadn't returned, and these girls seemed nothing but confused. Judging by what my damaged self could observe, it looked like we were losing this fight.

"How has no one found Valerie yet, huh? What if they're out for someone else! Or even worse, what if Alex is already dead and now they're just killing the other possible leaders?" a girl blurted out. I was amazed at the fact that I heard everything she said, and honestly, it gave me a glimpse of hope although I knew I wasn't doing well. "If Alex was alive, Jace would be back by now. He's probably taking out his rage on everyone right about now," another one said quietly. I was about to try to comment their arguments when I felt myself worsening once again.